The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Scott G vs. St. Croix Avid

In the event that I like my Avid (have not cast it yet, still awaiting gear) better than my Imperial, which would you go with?

We are talking 9ft. 5wt here. And I prefer 2 piece rods.

When I went for my fly class, the instructor let me throw his Scott G. It was awesome. Made my Imperial feel like a telephone pole. A few have said that I would probably like the Avid over the Imperial. I'd be willing to save my pennies (as few as they are) and get a Scott G, as they are not made any more. The place where I found a few had a price of $375.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott G vs. St. Croix Avid

Never thrown a Scott G but I have an Avid 8' 4 wt that I love and it is less than 1/2 the price of the Scott G. That said.... if money is no object buy the rod that feels the best to you.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

When you get into the Scott G's it's like the Winston WT series, not as slow but close. Very delicate presentations, very smooth casting. You can't force them. I have a feeling you'd love it.
Not wanting to sound like a elitest, the Avid's not anywhere close to a G. Not saying the Avid is a bad rod, but it's not in the same league.
The G is an older rod. Are you sure it wasn't the G2 you casted. To me it's a little different than the G. Touch faster. But just as smooth.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

No, it was a G. He said they didn't make them anymore and he was always trying to find them. I hooked him up with a place that sells older stuff. There's a bunch on there.

He said that this rod was his favorite. It melted in my hands. Even an ultra green novice like me could feel it so much better than the Imperial. Once he handed the Imperial back to me so I could practice some more, I felt disappointed. First lesson learned....
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Learn to cast and fish with the St. C. Save up and get a G or an equivilent. Man (nor woman) lives by one fly rod alone.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out the G2, as well but as noted above, it is a few steps up in price. I bought a 5 weight G2 recently, and it suits me perfectly for most of my fishing-- short to medium range delicate presentations, but it has a surprising amount of backbone when you need it. A local dealer was closing them out--not selling well (?), and discounted it by 30%.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

The Avid is a completely different animal. It is medium fast, and the Scott is medium.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM

maxipaye is on a distinguished road

Hi
This is maxi,Crafted from St. Croix's exclusive high-modulus SCIII graphite, these are versatile, moderate-fast fly rods that load smoothly and progressively down the blank for a silky casting stroke and exceptional feel.
Premium high-modulus graphite, moderate-fast action
Uplocking, anodized aluminum reel seats (comply with AFFTA fly reel foot standard) with lightweight woven graphite inserts
Top-quality, hard-chrome single-foot guides with extra-stiff frames for superior casting performance and durability
Aluminum-oxide stripper guides
Select-grade cork handles
Rugged Cordura® covered rod case with divided polypropylene liner
Lifetime warranty backed by unmatched St. Croix service
Handcrafted in the USA.
================================================== ==
maxi

Alabama Drug Addiction
Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Avid will feel much faster than a G, and a bit faster still than a G2.

Another discontinued gem to try is Sage's VPS Light or Light Line series. The latter was a top of the line gem, the former built on the same blank more recently without all the prettiest components. I've had a 490 VPS Light for about 8 years now and still love it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM

boyodoc is on a distinguished road

These are 2 entirely different rods. The scott g2 is a soft presentation, preferably for dries. the avid is a little more stiffer,medium fast. The scott fights from the butt,saving your tippet,whereas the avid fights the fish further up. It depends what you like. GOOD LUCK.