The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 102 47.66%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 41 19.16%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.42%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 52 24.30%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.29%
All of the above! 11 5.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

so.... Orvis replaced 3 of the 4 rod sections, saving the butt-end - for the 'advertised' $30 handling fee and the initial $16 cost of shipping the rod and case - a pretty good deal with less than a 2 week turnaround - the only 'thing' is that I received no notice of return shipping or type of repair/replacement from Orvis , the rod was simply delivered to my door - we had marked the sections of the rod -
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 AM

silvertone is on a distinguished road

Ive probably broken a dozen rods over the years. Most of them w/in a few inches of the tip.Snapping them off or crushing them w/ house and car doors .Pulling them out of vehicles and putting them in. Carrying them to the river and catching the ground or a tree , dislodging tree caught flies. Never on a fish, I would be ok w/ that.

The last rod I broke was a 10' noodle rod 2 yrs ago. It was left on the Sandy under this very large slab of ice along w/ a nice little Penn reel . I was walking up the side in 2->3 feet of water taking pics on a sunny day. I remember thinking how nice it looked w/ the water dripping off when the whole wall I was standing next to let loose. It made a short soft cracking noise just before it came down and when it hit my shoulder I dove to left as far as I could. I scrambled along and just made it away . When I stood up the camera was still in my hand and took this pic. I tried to rescue the rod but could only get about 6' of it. Stupidity broke that rod because it was stupid to be there that day. It was a long cold and wet walk back to the truck

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now That's a broken Rod Story!

Welcome to the group Silvertone

Ard
silvertone likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Noticing this poll was timely... My rod breakage rate has significantly gone down over the last few years, but I pulled my 8'6" 5wt St. Croix Premier out of storage Saturday and found slightly under 0.75" of the tip snapped off. I have no idea how it happened. I was able to make a clean looking repair, but it sure was aggravating...
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Just added another to the list last night:

brand new cabela's 6wt RLS snapped on the very first cast. It broke like straw with a very light cast.
The combo was marked down from 350 to 150, so I have to wonder if the company knows something about a batch of bad blanks. But the replacement is already being shipped for free, so I'm not really complaining.
Probably just part of being a bargain shopper and trying to find decent rods for decent prices; gotta accept what you get sometimes in terms of quality control.
Really happy I had a second rod with me to save the day.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Probably just part of being a bargain shopper and trying to find decent rods for decent prices; gotta accept what you get sometimes in terms of quality control.
Often this is true but there are exceptions. I bought a 9' 7 weight Quarrow about 4 or 5 seasons ago for 48 dollars. What could I expect for $48? After using it for a few days I bought a second just in case they sold out. I never broke the Quarrow and the rod is a very nicely finished one that does everything I would expect of a fly rod. It has landed some very large fish, some at the 25 pound mark and just keeps on delivering.

They are no longer available and there is no replacement guarantee but I do have a new one just in case. I tried to pass the word about them and some of our members have them as well, everyone has been happy with the rods. I think this is like many things, sometimes you just get lucky and find a deal.

Good luck with the second rod T,

Ard

Here are some pictures I took of the rod a few years ago to send to one of the guys who was thinking of geting one.

This is the same rod with a really big silver salmon, the small one weighed 14 pounds.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

"the small one"

You definitely live in a different world up there!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Last summer I broke my sage SP 5 wt. trying to get my fly free from the sweeper across the river. It was very strange break a couple light jerks and pop broken rod........ The rod broke on the lower section, it looked like someone had used a pipe cutter on the rod, no splinters just a clean break.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Hi Cody,

I broke a 9'6" Grey's Platinum X like that before I quit using weighted flies, I was snagged to the bottom. When I was twitching the rod it snapped. having caught kings on that rod I was pretty surprised when it snapped.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Only ever broke one rod. Let my brother borrow one when he went to Montana. He's hard on stuff so I gave him a St.Croix Avid 7wt. And he managed to break it somehow.