The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 90 46.63%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 36 18.65%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 32 16.58%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 48 24.87%
Other: to be explained in a post 36 18.65%
All of the above! 10 5.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hmmmmm......I must be the only one that never broke a fly rod?
I may have just jinxed myself....

EDIT: oops....I see theres a couple that have never broken a fly rod..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Trust me, even if you are careful just one careless moment and you may be adding your info here.

There have to be a few new breaks since season has started.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I banged up an Albright A5 4wt sitting in my canoe when a buddy and myself hit some fast water and slammed us into a log. I had to replace the 2 largest pieces.
3 weeks ago while fishing with my 8 wt Winston BIIX I noticed my casts weren't traveling far. I then noticed the top guide was askew. It had lost it's hold on the top and was spinning around. I got it back early last week and fished it in the marshes of Louisiana. I hooked several nice fish the last one a 26" Redfish that found one last burst of speed while about to get bogaed into the canoe. The fish dived into the weed beds and took my rod tip with it until I let some line out. I feared I might break the first section but after 5 min. of wrangling I was able to free the line of weeds and bring the fish in. So far the fix is still working. I don't know what initially caused the tip top to break or if it just happened but I'm satisfied with the factory fix.
4 years ago I also busted another Winston when a big rainbow took my fly and dashed off. I think the biggest ferrule connection had worked it's way loose and fighting that rainbow cracked it. I only noticed the crack when disassembling my rod later.
I've since learned to use ferrule dope to keep the pieces together. I've also learned to mark the connections on top so I notice if and when the connections are working themselves loose from frequent casting of heavier nymphs or heavy clousers. I hope your luck is better than mine.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Add another to the list...
Night fishing on a rock dam, I slipped and fell, tried to get the rod out from under foot to no avail.
So I say some final words for my 6wt cabelas RLS, RIP... You were made in china, purchased on closeout, and landed me my first carp and lots of other nice big fish including bass, trout, crappie and perch. But you were cheap and not to be fixed or replaced, thanks for the nice reel that came with you!

From now on I'm only buying rods with an affordable no questions asked replacement warranty! 2pc TFO 6wt is on the way, with their wonderful replacement plan too. I was hoping to find another 6wt 4pc under $100, but it is not the time of year I guess.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tevis,

You are the reigning champion of rod breaking I believe. Although there is no cash prize to be awarded I will build you another little green box up there on your post info in the upper right corner

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Bought the best rod bazooka for the airlines. Packed the rods in tubes , in sacks in the bazooka. As always never fails a rod top busted. Bottom line they search the rod tubes and rush to stuff the rods back in and bang something breaks. Last time it happened couldn't even find the broken off tip!
I remember being 12 years old and carrying all my rods on a plane to Florida. The pilot saw me boarding called me over and asked where and what I was going for. He told me some spots he fished and took my rods in the cockpit for safe keeping. Wow thanks to 911 and drug smuggling those days are gone forever.
I'm resigned to the fact if I'm gonna bring multiple rods I'm probably gonna need them just to cover breakage!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ard!
Yes, I am no ballerina...
Slightly embarrassed, but I guess the fish gods deserve to win a round here and there. A cash prize would help with the replacement for sure... That rod was less than 6 months old, but probably already had 100 days on it. I guess if you want to fish every day for a few hours something has to give eventually, hence the replacement plans for some of the better brands.
Supposedly Cabelas will look for a matching section from their returns if I send it in. Might still be a good backup someday.
TB
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Fly rods just are not that durable for the most part. Exert much force on themand unless it is being transmited to you while you are fighting a fish it will break. I once pulled a rod out of my car by the second (from tip-top) ferrule, wuith the weight of that reel on it it snapped. Lessons learned.

Another important thing is to ALWAYS pull in a straight line when trying to get your flie out of brush or a tree. Pull it staight towards you in the opposite direction of where it is stuck. Pulling side to side can snap a rod very qucikly, though fortunately I have never had that experience.

Interesting thread.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM

@Ard,

I always thought that my best dream job would be a product tester.
I've had mechanics, friends, parents, etc. tell me that I am really tough on my gear, cars, toys, etc. However, I use my gear more than most people I know, and use it until it breaks. Some gear has lasted a decade or more, others one trip out.
So if I ever have the chance to apply to be a product tester, I'm coming to you for a recommendation!
TB
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

1. I was fishing under a tree & had just rigged up another fly & let it drop into the water. It drifted about 3 ft. & a fairly large trout took it. I wasn't quite ready as I still had my flybox out & was putting it away. Needless to say I jerked the fly right out of the fishes mouth & up into the tree it went. Being stubborn I reeled in & tried to dislodge the fly with my rod tip. As I turned around to get a better angle I lost my footing & came down flailing . You guessed it, on the rod. It broke about a foot up from the cork. My buddy on the other side of the river gave my pirouette & fall a 6, for good form above the water but bad entry into the water with too large of a splash.
  2. Hit the tip on the ground.
  3. Tried lifting a salmon over a snag & broke the tip.
  4. I don't know what happened, Left it leaning on the cabin in Maine overnight & the next morning something, bear, moose large dog, my son ,who denies it. it was on the ground in 2 extra pieces.