The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 99 46.92%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 40 18.96%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.64%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 51 24.17%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.54%
All of the above! 11 5.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hardy,

It could be argued that this is #2, Other than I barely had tension on the rod. I was doing a steeple cast. The fly was directly above my head. I started to put tension on the rod to see which way the branch would bend when the tip snapped in two places. It was almost like since the rod was bending to the side rather than forward it almost immediately snapped.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey Ard

I broke another one but poll says i have already voted? 9WT TFO TicrX snapped dead center on a snag fishing a rock jetty will be repaired under warranty for $25.00.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Two fly rods broken, years ago.. One tried to get back in the car as I was closing the door, the other was the result of my canoe being rammed by an out of control kid in a motorboat. Bamboo..
Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jim,

I can't change the polling setup to allow multiple entries but I'll count your post into the results.

Nick,

I had a guy in an old Zodiac about hit me last season. He had a motor that made the raft stand on end when on full throttle and we met on a turn. He was coming around the corner like a flat rock skipping across the surface. I was able to steer and so avoid being hit. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

#1 Orvis Superfine Troutbum 7' 6" 3W
I turned around too quickly while I was wading the U-Sac. Slipped and fell face first in the river right on top of my rod and broke the tip section. I was in a 2" deep riffle. I didn't notice in all the excitement that my clip on lighted magnifier came off my hat. I brought the rod in to the local Orvis shop and they paid the shipping to send it for repair, loaned me a rod and paid the return shipping too! Good service.

#2 G.Loomis Xperience 9' 5W
This was a craigslist score - $150 and it still had the tag on it, never been fished.
A 1920s era heavy wooden screen door with a nice strong spring closed on the tip as I was walking through with the rod. I always remove the spring on those doors when I stay there now. I still haven't sent it off for repair, seems like a good deal to do so - when I save the money.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I watched my Dad crack several ribs, years ago, saving his bamboo Orvis Madison. Decending a shelf of slippery rock up in Maine, lost his footing, crashed heavily, slid down a bunch of wet shale, rod held high.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Years ago a buddy & I were fishing the Lackawaxen river in PA & we were moving to another spot. I put my rod in the back of his Cherokee & he ended up leaving his on the roof. We got down the road (which runs alongside the river) & we heard his rod sliding off the roof. He pulled over about 75' from the rod & was walking to it when a pickup came the other way,crossed the center line & ran over his rod & reel lengthwise & sped up down the road. George just stood there dumbfounded by the time he picked up the pieces of his rod & reel the truck was long gone & we did go into Hawley looking for the truck but never found it.......
Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

I'm 68 and and have been fishing since I was about 10 years old and so far I broke two rods to date. One was a spinning rod that was broke when I closed the trunk of my car on the tip section while talking to my buddy. I had a big red face on that one.

The second was a custom Sage RPL 5 weight 9'0" Rod that I broke belly boating in Colorado on Spinney Res in South Park. I think what happened was the line got wrapped around the end of the rod and I started to false cast to get line out and I heard it snap. I broke off about the first 12 inches of on the tip end and it still sits in my spare room to remind me of the unhappy event. I have actually been looking for a correct RPL rod blank to have a new upper half made to match the lower half of the rod.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I watched my Dad crack several ribs, years ago, saving his bamboo Orvis Madison. Decending a shelf of slippery rock up in Maine, lost his footing, crashed heavily, slid down a bunch of wet shale, rod held high.
Hi Nick,

Besides fly fishing I used to hunt grouse in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I had one of the first run Ruger Red Label 12 gage shotguns sold in the area. Although the Ruger was not a piece of wood work like a Belgium Browning I never put a scratch on that gun and grouse cover can be a real trial for that. The same goes for my deer hunting rifles, all the rocky hills all the snow and ice and plenty of spills but never did my rifle hit the ground.

About ten years ago I stepped onto a big old limestone boulder placed along with many others to hold back erosion on a favorite trout stream. I was wearing a pair of Orvis Henry's Fork boots with cleated rubber soles. I loved that boot and they had never slipped on me. What I found out was that on a big slab of hard rock the cleats kept the rubber from contacting the road so to say and................ In my right hand I clutched an Orvis bamboo flea rod. Not just any Flea but a custom build by Ron White (retired) of the Orvis bamboo shop. I hit hard, and bounced from boulder to boulder until my feet somehow landed in the creek and I was still upright after crooning through the giant rocks. I don't know where the rod and reel were during my short but furious trip to the waters edge but they survived as if there had been nothing out of the ordinary happen. I think the knack of protecting equipment comes from being raised by a survivor of the Normandy Landing & Battle of The Bulge. My dad had a thing about taking care of a rifle and he taught that to me. Then it was just second nature to transpose that learning to the rods. When you think of it a fly rod is to a fly fisherman as the rifle is to the hunter.....

You can tell your dad I admire his tenacity in protecting that rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... the other day, my fishing partner took a tumble down a river bank, a fall of about 20' he said.
He told me it was like slow motion the whole way, the whole time looking for a safe place to toss his rod. A custom bamboo made by..... him