The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 93 45.81%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 39 19.21%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 16.26%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 49 24.14%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 18.23%
All of the above! 11 5.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Oh no! That almost hurt to look at. Bummer.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I took it in stride Dan, it helped to know that the bench was deep if I needed to bring in a replacement rod Like I said, since it was the Streamlight I knew there would be no problem replacing it but the rod did have some history being my first. It has been used much more than the newer ones. I'm going to set it up for small / medium size streams when the new one arrives. The Delta Long is not here yet for that new Winston rod and I won't pick up the reel until Wednesday.......... I figure the line gets here before I go to town so maybe I can test the rod

I took the boat to the river yesterday afternoon and arrived at the launch at 2:40 PM. The only way to know what is going on down there is to go so I took a chance. There was so much ice coming down the river that I knew 2 things. (1) I didn't want to try to drive up the river because the flows were big enough to rock the boat real good. (2) Last Friday I had a hard time keeping a fly underwater because of all the floating ice slabs so I knew this was a lost cause Other than running up to a small creek this afternoon the fishing on the big rivers here is over for me........... It's gonna be a long winter.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Carrying rod inside PU with tip sticking out rear sliding window. Bet you can't guess what I did. Yep your right, it snapped it like a twig. Oh well learned a lesson that I can't remember which way to push a button; but I got me a new rod. No the new rod was not a warranty but a purchase.lol
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Osok,

I know it can be a hassle taking a rod apart and stowing the rod in the tube and reel in its case but........... if you develop a bond with your equipment through long hours of use it will simply be unacceptable to break a rod during transport, or to mar a reel forever because you got careless. I learned and you are learning now, the only time I don't take my rods down is when I transport them along a river system on a rod rack made for this purpose.

The one in this picture is old but there are companies making similar racks today.

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't do Interstates with them out there, just a quick run up or down the river. Finding one of these may make life easier for you

Ard

Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

^^^^ Don't you worry about a rock flying up and shattering your rod?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Every now and then the thought crosses my mind but the places where I use this there is little danger from flying stones. I have considered a bird but generally I am driving slow when there are rods on the hood. I use this the most when I fish close to home. I can rig the rod and don the waders and all that so that when I reach my little parking spot all I need to do is to snatch the rod and go.

The carrier got a lot of use when I lived in Pennsylvania. We used it because the road system paralleled almost every stream and moving from one area to another was safe and easy this way. Here in Alaska I travel mainly by river boat and there is a vertical rod rack on the console of the boat. These keep the rods safe but when carrying Spey rods you gotta be mindful of overhanging tree limbs. Sometimes it's easy to forget that you have a 15' mast sticking strait up and I've had some close calls.

Ard

Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Time to bump this up for the Next Generation of Rod Wreckers

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I've only broken 2 fly rods. Both were due to stupidity...and while practice casting in my back yard.

The first was a graphite rod. I was retrieving the line from a practice cast when my dog, a rotweiler-shepherd decided she wanted to kill the line. Taking exception to her decision, I tapped her with the rod tip; which, of course snapped.

The second was a bamboo rod. I took it out of the rod case, wiped off a couple beads of moisture, and rigged it. On the second practice cast, something didn't feel right. On the third practice cast, it felt worse. I stopped, looked at the rod and realized that it had absorbed water, and was now separating in a couple locations.

In addition to the 2 broken fly rods, I've broken a few graphite spinning and bait casting rods. The last one just shattered during my first day of casting. Interestingly, I usually fish fiberglass, and yet I've yet to break a single one.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to many logging trucks and 18 wheelers up here tossing rocks at me to risk an outside the vehicle rack. To many bugs too. That and I hit birds alot. I had a Great Blue Heron a few years back, that cleared hood, windheild and I assume the roof of my car by a small enough amount it would have taken out both of the rods in the photo before it ever made it to the roof. It came up over a bridge and I'm sure it was the air I was pushing that made me miss it. It followed the contour of the car. It was close enough to see the wrinkles in his little poop cutter. I found it dead a couple of days later in the same exact spot. Dumb bird did not learn it's lesson with me dusting his feathers for him.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road

I had a 2 piece Cabela Traditional, 9' 5 wt., for about a year. My first rod, a gift from the guy who got me into fishing. He and his wife gave it to me for Christmas. Anyway, by now I have two more 'upscale" rods and I invite a friend to try fly fishing with me and let him use my first rod. It took him about three seconds and the butt half crumbled in the ferule. It had to be operator error but I don't exactly know what he did. Cabela's gave me a gift card for what the sale price would have been and I upgraded to a 4 piece LSi 6 wt. I'm happy for the trade and happy that I have a new fishing buddy... who now has his own rod!