The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 91 46.19%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 37 18.78%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 16.75%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 49 24.87%
Other: to be explained in a post 36 18.27%
All of the above! 10 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Time for a bump,

Please enter a category by using the poll and feel free to tell the tale of woe.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Two almost new BVK's. Not mine, but both broken in my boat by two different guys. These commonly break after relatively mild hooksets too, nothing crazy. It was the strangest thing. We just stopped fishing and stared with puzzled expressions on our faces. I've heard of several others having something similar happen. These rods get a lot of attention, but I would be wary of them. They have extremely thin walls. I can't remember the last rod I broke myself. Most of my rods are Loomis and a few St. Croix. You have to do something pretty stupid to break those. Several of the Loomis ones are from tournament wins in the mid 90's but they just keep going like a good watch despite lead hitting them, big fish bending them at crazy angles, and the ravages of time on the water. I just picked up some Zeniths. I hope they prove to be as tough.
winstonwt likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM

jeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nicejeepster II is just really nice

I just voted other for all my breaks except for one bamboo rod that breaks at the ferrule just by looking at it. I break rods during tumbles, slips, and falls. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've given this some thought and have uncovered the truth. I have had 6 broken rods since getting my first fly rod in 1969. 2 Fenwicks within a year in or about 1978, 1 ran over by unknown vehicle, one while I tried to get tangled line off of the tip. I was young and thought that if I slapped it on the water of the beaver pond I was fishing, it would come off........ failed.

Nothing again until 1997 when my dog stepped on a tip of a rod which was not in tube. In 1998 my 6'6" flea rod split above the ferrule while I was casting on Slate Run. I had extra tips so I kept fishing.

In 2006 I snapped my Grey's Platinum X 7 weight trying to free a hook fouled on the bottom by snapping the line repeatedly, never again. In 2012 I was fishing in 25* air which was the high for the day, while sweeping the line to preform a cast the but section of a 13' LL Bean Streamlight Spey rod snapped about a foot above the cork.

Things happen but today I am careful, I don't fish like I'm walking on thin ice but I try to identify dangerous situations before I am at risk of having another break.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

2 broken, both improper transport/storage.

The first, and my first rod, an old fiberglass one I found in my Granddad's basement, I broke while trying to take it out of the back of my 86 Accord. I opened the trunk, but instead of getting it all the way up where it would stay, I tried to pull the 9' rod out before it closed. Didn't quite work. The trunk caught the tip at about a foot from the end and broke it off.

The second, a TFO Signature Series, also by the car, this time the door. Had just put the rod together and had it leaned up against the car with the door open (All the way, I thought had learned my lesson). Strong gust of wind closed the door and snacked it. $25 and about a week later I was fishing again.

Seems like there's a pretty simple lesson for me to learn.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Wow, I'm either lucky, more careful or don't fish enough compared to you guys, I've only broken one rod since I started fly fishing in 1965. That was summer before last when I laid my Sage SP across the seats of my drift boat and my dog jumped on it breaking it in three pieces.

John
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM

coopdog1 is on a distinguished road

I had two tips on my Sage flight break when I caught fish. I'm assuming it got nicked by the sinker, but who knows. I've never had that issue with my Z-axis. However, I did slip on a wet bank and fall between two little mounds with my hand firmly attached to my rod and actually broke the handle right through. Sage fixed or replaced it. It took a long time. A long, long, sad time.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:55 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Have to agree with labradorguy,don't own and never will own a tfo.Mass produced in korea,thin wall rods,poor quality.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

It was my faithful old RPL. I was playing a nice fish, and the rod broke just below the stripping guide. I had to choose "other" on the poll.

The trout was a deep 21" Rainbow, but still, I don't see how the fish could have broken the rod. Nor was I doing anything special while I was playing the fish. Most likely it broke from a previous unmarked injury -- or maybe a weak spot in the blank? I don't know.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM

jhbcos5 is on a distinguished road

Only one broken while white bass fishing below a dam close to the cork. Held the glass rod together while casting and continued to catch fish in 1962. The result was fiberglass in an eye from rubbing sweat from face. Another words DO NOT DO STUPID STUFF even though you are young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk