The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 95 46.12%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 40 19.42%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 16.02%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 49 23.79%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.96%
All of the above! 11 5.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

I have only broken one of my TCX rods, the 7wt. Pretty sure I nicked it with a BIG streamer and cracked the outside layer of goodness, cause she went POP! when i put a big double haul on it and loaded it up. then i had to finish it off in a door.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Two almost new BVK's. Not mine, but both broken in my boat by two different guys. These commonly break after relatively mild hooksets too, nothing crazy. It was the strangest thing. We just stopped fishing and stared with puzzled expressions on our faces. I've heard of several others having something similar happen. These rods get a lot of attention, but I would be wary of them. They have extremely thin walls. I can't remember the last rod I broke myself. Most of my rods are Loomis and a few St. Croix. You have to do something pretty stupid to break those. Several of the Loomis ones are from tournament wins in the mid 90's but they just keep going like a good watch despite lead hitting them, big fish bending them at crazy angles, and the ravages of time on the water. I just picked up some Zeniths. I hope they prove to be as tough.
Ive heard this about the BVKs and that TFO is aware of the problem and is working on rectifying it.

Temple Forks makes some excellent rods comparable to any price point rod out there. They also have incredible warranty service.

Ive stepped on two rods. closed my tailgate on two. had two phantom breaks where the tip just inexplicably slid down my line. Ive had a rod snap violently at the center ferrule during casting. ive been trying to bounce a snag free with some violent, frustrated bounces of the rod after multiple snags and lost flies. That snapped in half. But the best one was a 4wt I was fighting a 12" trout on the Metolius river when a massive bull trout arced out of the depths, grabbed my fish and rocketed back to the depths resulting in a sudden explosion of the rod right above the cork.
Oh yeah, I also broke one while backing my float tube into a bank. I forgot I had my second rod pointing out behind me.

I just selected "All the above"
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM

wormdragger is on a distinguished road

Greetings,first time commenting on the forum,but, when I saw the topic I had to ask this question:Can you break an 8wt rod with an improper false cast?To explain;I'm new to fly fishing,got a good deal on some River Beast rods on _bay,looked great,though a few years old,never been used,no obvious nicks etcThis was a medium action WindWalker model,wf8f line with#6 foam spider.First attempt to cast and the the rod broke between 2nd &3rd snake guides,clean like it was scored with a tubing cutter.I was just try to get some line out,to load the rod for my first cast.Luckily the seller is willing to refund my $,I pay for shipping.Didn't seem like I was exerting much force,and the fly didn't hit the rod.Ive seen graphite spinning rod shatter ,just not break clean like this did.Defective blank or user error? Thank you.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road

Screen door vs 4 wt... Had it been my 6 or 8, I don't think it would have broken. The door closing on it didn't actually break it. It was my turning around to see where the rod caught and reaching back to open the door that did it. The handle dropped a little, but it was just enough to snap the tip off. Fortunately, it is a Grey's with a lifetime warranty and I am waiting (impatiently) for them to send a new tip section. Irony is that a day or two later, I was thumbing through a fly fishing book by Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis. Page 174: "To avoid breakage by fans and screen doors, never put a fly rod together indoors." Thanks, Tom...
Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Trust me, even if you are careful just one careless moment and you may be adding your info here.

There have to be a few new breaks since season has started.
Had to laugh when I read Ard's post above .... electric window are your basic Guillotine.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Fred,

I'm glad you bumped this thread, when you look at the results percentagewise it's sobering huh?

All you other guys, if you've broken a rod enter your post please

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 PM

2rjs is on a distinguished road

I voted other but started to vote pulling too hard on a snag. I've owned 21 fly rods and this is the first I've broken. I was nymph fishing and I watched my strike indicator come to a stand still. I set the hook only for it to be a rock and my tip broke. I really don't think that I set too hard. Possibly I could have hit the tip while casting a beadhead but I'm not sure. Hopefully this was an anomaly and I don't have this problem with the replacement.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 PM

batsonbrands is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Since everyone's telling tails, I will too.
The three rods of mine that were manufacture's defects were Batson 9wts. Like I said, they all broke on the first day of use.
I build one, broke it, got a replacement. Build that one, broke it. Got a third one...... and so on.
All blanks from the same batch apparently.
It was kinda frustrating as you might imagine. Rather than build the same rod a forth time, I put together a Frankenstein rod of green and black sections.
Now I rarely fish this rod as all I can think about is that it's about to break on the next cast.

With an unknown brand homerolled 8wt, I continued the casting motion after the fly was already stuck in a bush. And with an cheap Eagleclaw IM6 I tried to pull a tree branch down by holding the rod backwards and using the reel to snag the branch. That one was really stupid.

I didn't do it my self, but back in the early/mid '60s my father shut the station wagon tailgate window on three cane rods at once. Two were cheap Japanese rods, but my grandfather's was a South Bend.
I've snapped the tip of a Conolon fiberglass rod while refinishing it...
And I have a Wright&McGill glass rod that broke long enough ago that don't remember how I broke it
Three time I've broken the ring off the tiptop of rods with out damaging the blank..
Once while salmon fishing in Nova Scotia I snapped the tip of a Lamiglass rod off in the spokes of my mountain bike after riding in to a remote pool.

And the winner ..
Around 30 years ago I fell out of bed and busted my Berkley Para/Metric .
I don't remember why the rod was next to the bed, but I do remember why I fell out.... And that story is not for a family website
Did we take care of this?? Only reason why I ask, every blank that leaves here gets tested to make sure that they don't break. And that many is very odd!! Just want to make sure your taken care of!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM

montanaboy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

I lost the end section of my travel rod and would like ideas how to fix this problem, it is a inexpensive rod but I don't want to throw it away. It is a 8'-6" 3 wt. Cabellas Stowaway -with 5 sections (original-4 now).

Your help is appreciated.

Lee