The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 102 47.66%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 41 19.16%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.42%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 52 24.30%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.29%
All of the above! 11 5.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll;

I already posted in the other thread, but I have broken 2 in the last year, both stiff flex and both I have to say are probably my error. One, I snagged a tree on the back cast and when I sent the rod forward, the rod did not follow; the second, I was flinging a weighted wooly bugger, and I can only guess that I had hit the "new" rod with the fly once or twice and had damaged it, cause when I flipped the bugger upstream, the rod snapped just above the ferrule. Cabelas replaced both rods, with no complaints and no questions asked. The second one was replaced and I was back on the water within an hour of breaking it - I happened to be about 15 minutes from Cabelas when it broke. The second one could have been a manufacturers error possibly, but, I was flinging heavily weighted flies with a tungsten bead, so, I am guessing it was my fault. interesting enough, though maybe not significant, both of the rods I broke were stiff flex 4 piece rods, I have never broken a medium fast flex or a 2 piece rod (knock on wood, bamboo, graphite, etc).

d
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Two rods broken while landing fish, by myself, operator error in both cases. One, a 6 wt on a dorado - yeah, I know, what the Hell was I doing fishing a 6 wt on dorado? - and while I was looking around for the net, the 10 pound hen dove and snapped the 3rd section. Second, a carp of about 8 pounds was nearly in hand, I did the old 'stick the rod behind me and grab the leader' trick just as the fish decided it wasn't done.

Both were overstressed.

The third was a Scott that I had laying around unused after I joined TFO Pro Staff. Sold it on a carp fishing forum to a guy and shipped it UPS. They crushed the **** out of it. Guy sent it back, I got him a TFO Pro at the same price we'd negotiated, I filed a claim with UPS and got paid, then sent it in to Scott under warranty and got a new blank (I'd built it), and sold the blank and remaining sections on another forum.

Craig
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Since everyone's telling tails, I will too.
The three rods of mine that were manufacture's defects were Batson 9wts. Like I said, they all broke on the first day of use.
I build one, broke it, got a replacement. Build that one, broke it. Got a third one...... and so on.
All blanks from the same batch apparently.
It was kinda frustrating as you might imagine. Rather than build the same rod a forth time, I put together a Frankenstein rod of green and black sections.
Now I rarely fish this rod as all I can think about is that it's about to break on the next cast.

With an unknown brand homerolled 8wt, I continued the casting motion after the fly was already stuck in a bush. And with an cheap Eagleclaw IM6 I tried to pull a tree branch down by holding the rod backwards and using the reel to snag the branch. That one was really stupid.

I didn't do it my self, but back in the early/mid '60s my father shut the station wagon tailgate window on three cane rods at once. Two were cheap Japanese rods, but my grandfather's was a South Bend.
I've snapped the tip of a Conolon fiberglass rod while refinishing it...
And I have a Wright&McGill glass rod that broke long enough ago that don't remember how I broke it
Three time I've broken the ring off the tiptop of rods with out damaging the blank..
Once while salmon fishing in Nova Scotia I snapped the tip of a Lamiglass rod off in the spokes of my mountain bike after riding in to a remote pool.

And the winner ..
Around 30 years ago I fell out of bed and busted my Berkley Para/Metric .
I don't remember why the rod was next to the bed, but I do remember why I fell out.... And that story is not for a family website
Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rip Tide, you're a funny guy, (quote from Good Fellas by Henry)

I set the poll up so you can enter each circumstance and I think you qualify for all of the above, I'll add that choice.

If you are reading this and meet the requirements for "All of the above" rod breaking types go back and vote again.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you are reading this and meet the requirements for "All of the above" rod breaking types go back and vote again.

Ard
It's not set up so that you can change your vote(s)
I think I got it right the first time though
Carelessness, improper use, and "other"
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I can change that,

Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

You boys just reminded me, I forgot to add the BB hole in the tip section of a nice Young bamboo.
Doggone huge family reunions can wreck a rod... especially if your Uncle was a yuckity-yuck at the Daisy BB gun company and was generous with Birthday Gifts.

Luckily (for me) this was in the '50's and it was Uncle Joe's rod.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Since everyone's telling tails, I will too.
The three rods of mine that were manufacture's defects were Batson 9wts. Like I said, they all broke on the first day of use.
I build one, broke it, got a replacement. Build that one, broke it. Got a third one...... and so on.
All blanks from the same batch apparently.
It was kinda frustrating as you might imagine. Rather than build the same rod a forth time, I put together a Frankenstein rod of green and black sections.
Now I rarely fish this rod as all I can think about is that it's about to break on the next cast.

With an unknown brand homerolled 8wt, I continued the casting motion after the fly was already stuck in a bush. And with an cheap Eagleclaw IM6 I tried to pull a tree branch down by holding the rod backwards and using the reel to snag the branch. That one was really stupid.

I didn't do it my self, but back in the early/mid '60s my father shut the station wagon tailgate window on three cane rods at once. Two were cheap Japanese rods, but my grandfather's was a South Bend.
I've snapped the tip of a Conolon fiberglass rod while refinishing it...
And I have a Wright&McGill glass rod that broke long enough ago that don't remember how I broke it
Three time I've broken the ring off the tiptop of rods with out damaging the blank..
Once while salmon fishing in Nova Scotia I snapped the tip of a Lamiglass rod off in the spokes of my mountain bike after riding in to a remote pool.

And the winner ..
Around 30 years ago I fell out of bed and busted my Berkley Para/Metric .
I don't remember why the rod was next to the bed, but I do remember why I fell out.... And that story is not for a family website

Damn catfish
Old 10-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Close call

One more... It was spring and the Hennies were thick! I walked in quite a ways for solitude with my all time favorite four weight. It was a long winter and I couldn't hardly wait to get that rod in action again,
I arrived at my spot, stripped out some line and discovered that rod just did not work anymore!
Is it possible they go sour over time? Was it my line that was the problem? Did I string the thing up right?
Everything checked out okay... line was strung up properly so there were no missed guides or wraps around the blank. The line was a brand new T.O.L. Scientific Anglers and was as smooth as can be.
That rod just would not shoot line so back to the Jeep I hiked to get another rod. At the Jeep I donned my glasses and gave the rod one more once-over before breaking it down (or selling it for $5.00 to anyone who happened by!)
I somehow lead the fly line through the foot of the stripping guide!
All was well with the world after that and I learned to always wear or carry glasses when out and about.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Close call

Jack,

I think we have all wrapped line around the rod between the upper guides once or twice but I never mamaged to string it under the foot of the stripper, that's a new one on me