The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 101 47.42%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 40 18.78%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.49%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 51 23.94%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.37%
All of the above! 11 5.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Close call

I've been fortunate in that in 40 years of fishing I've only had one rod tip brake and I do not know how it happened. It was during short day trip just this year while casting a tip broke off a rod while casting within minutes of arriving at the first stop of the day. I do not know why it happened. It could have been compromised by a fall I'd taken while crossing a dry river bed when some rocks rolled out from under my feet even after checking for a sure footing a couple weeks earlier, however I fished that rod half a day after that fall and landed numerous fish without issue that day. Hopefully I can go another 40 years without braking another one.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Close call

That's a darn good run of caution 40 years, if you read my post you've seen that I've wrecked a few. I'm hoping to get a bunch of votes on the poll and we will be able to review and cite the findings in future references when we talk about being careful or the unknown.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

You can see it coming. (don't try this at home)
The second guy

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Loved it! One of the best bits of u-tube (fishing) I've seen in years! Don't know where/how you came up with that but:

fae
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Don't know where/how you came up with that but:
credit goes to Moldy Chum
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Never hold a rod like that, I guess everyone who has seen the show already knows this now. I have had a few 4" fighting butts made so that I don't even think about doing that. Lucky there were no eye injuries from splinters flying or cut hands when the shaft snapped huh?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

It shame's me to say it but I have broken a few. The first I broke was when I was about 14, I shut it in a door.

The second was about 6 years ago in Alaska. I was fishing a 6wt for rainbow's and hooking a few small kings in the process. after I landed a couple small ones I hook into one a little bigger. I figured what the hell, I'll give it a go. well after a few minutes I hear my rod make a strange noise and I point the rod at the fish and brake it off. check out the rod and all looks good. Start fishing again and about 5 min later it break's in the middle of the Rod while casting.

The third was last winter. I leaned the rod against a tree to take a leak, the wind blew it over and I didn't realize it. I turn around and step on it.

The other one didn't break but I was lucky. I was casting a new two hander (first time I had it out) and I didn't tape the ferrules. the tip piece came off while I was casting and cracked the finish on the female end of the ferrule. amazingly the rod is fine it just tweaked the finish.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I read through this thread and was thinking that I have never had a fly rod break. My first good rod was a Heddon bamboo and I drove over it with my car in its aluminum tube. I had to beat on the tube with a tire iron to get the rod out. It was a three piece with two tips. The rod wasn't damaged and I fished it for several years more. In Alaska I fished out of air planes and boats but never broke a rod. I think that came from taken good care of them in travel.

So just before I wrote that I had never broke a rod I remembered that my bamboo rod has one tip with a short piece missing. So I have broken one fly rod tip but don't remember how I did it.

Frank
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I had an experience close to Fred's where the rod just blew up mid section and another was ice in the guides. A combo really, my negligence and nature.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Here ya go................