The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 91 46.19%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 37 18.78%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 16.75%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 49 24.87%
Other: to be explained in a post 36 18.27%
All of the above! 10 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

How about backed over my rod in my car? Actually I backed over the reel and the line pulled hard enough to snap the tip. Now I have a sticky in the car that reads,"Do You KNow Where Your Rod Is?"
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

My old Cortland downlocking rod did lose it's cap and I could not trust that the reel would fall off. Cortland made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My rod was close to 18 years old and they chose to replace it with a far nicer rod. My hat's off to this company. They went above and beyond. I frankly didn't expect them to do anything but epoxy a new cap.

Oh, I just remembered that I busted a ferrule on a Winston 4wt Ibex fighting a very nice rainbow. The connections tended to loosen and come off frequently which may have contributed to the break. Winston replaced it with a newer Vapor rod for free. So here you have two AMERICAN companies that have done the customer right. Kudos to both Cortland and Winston. When dealing with a company with offshore made products I'm not so sure your service or warranty will be quite as good but then again the $120 for the 2 Albright A5s-I should get what I paid for and I'm not expecting much...
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazingly, I have never broken a fly rod, knock on wood. I have broken a pile of conventional rods though. Most because they were just lousy rods that broke setting the hook. maybe I have never broken a fly rod is that I have always tended to buy better quality fly rods and blanks than I used to with conventional rods. Since I started making my own rods I have never broken any kind of rod. Again, knock on wood.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

The first time I ever broke a rod tip was during winter fishing, I got impatient with the iced-up guides and then got careless and was trying to clear the tip-top, I just reached up there, bent the rod to much while flicking at the tip-top with my thumb and snapped about an inch off the top. I just kept fishing with the damn thing frozen to my line! Now my 9' 6WT is actually 8'11.

This summer the foot of a snake guide at the middle ferrule just pulled broke free from the wraps. Still a mystery to me. I fixed that one.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Voted using my son's broken rod for the incident. I've never broken one, but he snapped the tip off his pulling on the snagged line last summer.
(He learned the lesson, so I gave him a Sage 4wt to replace it.)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
How about backed over my rod in my car? Actually I backed over the reel and the line pulled hard enough to snap the tip. Now I have a sticky in the car that reads,"Do You KNow Where Your Rod Is?"
That is a really good idea Rich!

I have left rods on the roof of truck caps twice. Funny how this thread helps me to remember an 8' 6 weight Fenwick in 1977 that after being left on top an El Camino's cap. It was hours before I realized I didn't have it and dark. The rod was recovered in more pieces that I could count. The second one was just last June. It flew onto the berm and I was able to get it and the reel back unharmed. The only damage was to the face of an Odyssey reel that was on the rod. I had an extra spool to pop in the cage and it was business as usual after changing over the line. Close one

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll;

This past season I was rough on 6wts. Put one into the truck door. Clearly a stupid move on my part. The other I was stripping a leech pattern through some swift water. Caught a snag, thinking it was a strike I set the hook. Rod failure. Im still not sure why it happened because I had easily put more torque on the rod fighting fish at other times.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I broke a nice 7 weight that way about 4 or 5 years ago. I think it is that swift load with no give on the other end that brakes them about 1/3 way up the shaft. I don't hit that hard anymore even on the kings.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I broke a nice 7 weight that way about 4 or 5 years ago. I think it is that swift load with no give on the other end that brakes them about 1/3 way up the shaft. I don't hit that hard anymore even on the kings.
I came to the same conclusion. It is a 4pc that sheared just above the ferral of the bottom two pieces.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

I broke a custom 3wt that was built for me by a friend. I was setting the hook on a trout and it snapped just above the furrel. My friend always told me to fish with it but I told him that I wanted to put it up because he had made it for me. He kinda got mad at me because I wouldn't use so I started fishing with it and SNAP. He has replaced with another 3wt but it stays on the wall in my fly tying room.

Jr

"Catch and Release"