The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 102 47.66%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 41 19.16%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.42%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 52 24.30%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.29%
All of the above! 11 5.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

fortunately only once.
a custom diamondback 5 weight that i had made for me in high school,(sold a drawing to a "random buyer"). i foolishly left it laying on the gravel bar while i was walking back to the car for a missing fly box and as i was walking back my fishing buddy stepped on it, snapping the top section in half. oh the pain, the agony, my first quality fly rod broken on the gravel bar, totally useless. my fault entirely and no hard feelings ever exchanged- so never leave your rod laying anywhere EVER.
i got the tip fixed only to have the rod as well as a cimarron fly reel stolen out of my buddies trunk in a parking garage in anchorage 2 months later.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Funny story...
I have never broken a rod myself (knock on wood) but I almost broke another guys rod up in Michigan. I was cruising down some sand/grass two tracks on the North Branch of the Ausable and 4 wheel drifted over a dune (not really, just thought I'd add some excitement; I was creeping along in my Yaris trying not to bury those monster 14" wheels in sand) and pulled over to pass a jeep parked on the left of the path. Apparently Biker Dave (as they call him in Grayling, he's some kind of local celebrity??? everyone seemed to know who he was) had laid his bamboo down across the road to go use the little boys room in the woods. I was about 5 seconds away from snapping that pretty rod into three peices when he came charging out from behind the Jeep to save it!!!!

I'm quite surprised that I never broke one of my TFO's. I was intentionally brutal on those things because I knew that I could get it fixed for $25. I horsed alot of snags out on 4x and never broke one. They have been pretty durable.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey People,

I know this is not the best topic to have to post about but............ With the season in full swing I know someone is out there snapping a rod or two. I am really interested in our results here so if you've broken one this year please pick the catagory that most closely matches your circumstances and enter the reply. Feel free to tell all the gory details too.

Thanks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Almost August and I know there are some Horror Stories out there. If you did snap one please go to the first post and chose the closest 'how I broke it' and enter the polling data.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

dt doug will become famous soon enoughdt doug will become famous soon enough

This may be worse than a broken rod. I was going to the Adirondacks with college friends for a week of hiking, canoeing, and since I was the only one who fished, a little fishing. My dad let me take his 7' 4 wt. Leonard Duracane bamboo rod. I also had my rod, an LL Bean pack rod. One evening I hit one of the local trout ponds, rigged up my rod with a wet line and brought the Leonard out in the canoe, just in case there some surface action later. That wispy little rod is fun with any size fish. I left in it's case for safe keeping. As the sun settled beyond the tree tops a few fish began working the surface so I took out the Leonard. I laid the tip section across the gunwales and then took out the butt section. When I looked up.... OH (fill in the blank)!!!!! No rod tip in sight. It was now dusk and the water was about 30 ft. if I remember and very discolored. No chance of diving for it. I had a baggie that I put a few small stones in, tied it to my leader and with a streamer dragged the area as best I could until everything, sky, water, and trees were the same color, black. You know how when you dread something so bad it screws with your nerves and you feel like puking and/or crying and you have a mild case of the shakes that never stop! Well if you don't, drop a section of you old mans favorite bamboo rod in 30 ft. of water and drive home for 4 hrs. thinking about it the whole way. Well the drive was way worse than actually telling him what happened. This rod had come with two tips and Leonard built a new tip section to replace the lost one. The rod and I survived to fish another day.
theboz likes this.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Doug,

That is worse than any reports so far, Glad there was a happy ending............ I put some rep on you just for writing that out. I could tell by your prose that it still has you worked up. You are a good son,

Ard

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I was onstream and just about mid-day my rod snapped about six inches below the ferrule. It was a 7.5 foot, 4wt, two piece before that. I could either pack it in for the day or try to make do with the stub, I decided to make do. I put the piece with the handle and reel seat in my daypack and left the short male section in the ferrule. I was wading wet with zip off cargo pants so I pulled some line and put the reel in the cargo pocket on the left quadriceps and proceeded to catch about 20 more browns on the way back to my vehicle. My right hand was a little sore where the stub met my palm and fingers hurt from gripping the small circumference of the bare rod, but it was worth it. milt.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Backed over one a few years back, in a hury to go to a weigh in and show off my catch.

Rick
Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Last year I was onstream and just about mid-day my rod snapped about six inches below the ferrule. It was a 7.5 foot, 4wt, two piece before that. I could either pack it in for the day or try to make do with the stub, I decided to make do. I put the piece with the handle and reel seat in my daypack and left the short male section in the ferrule. I was wading wet with zip off cargo pants so I pulled some line and put the reel in the cargo pocket on the left quadriceps and proceeded to catch about 20 more browns on the way back to my vehicle. My right hand was a little sore where the stub met my palm and fingers hurt from gripping the small circumference of the bare rod, but it was worth it. milt.
You have made the quintessential demonstration of how to roll with the punch milt! That's a good one,

Ard

Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I've broken one rod, wet wading in tennis shoes (never do that again). It was luckily with about 15 minutes left to go before I needed to get out of the river and hike back to the truck. I slipped on a rock and held the rod in my right hand and that happened to be the side I fell on so smashed the rod (and hand ) on a rock.

The bad part of the story is I told myself never again , if I go down I will throw my rod out of my hand if possible. Fast forward to the following early spring and I am hiking down a icy bank (March in Colorado). I suddenly realized I was on a icy rock, right then my feet shot out of underneath me and I "threw" my rod so I wouldnt land on it. All was well , rod was fine I was scared gathered up my gear. As I gathered my gear I noticed my watch band was broken which wasurpsising since it is a heavy expensive metal banded dive watch. That is where it got ugly I notice my pinky was "not straight"

In my effort to save my rod I dislocated both knuckles in my pinky and broke it. The first knuckle the upper section was underneath the joint and the second knuckle was doing a 90 to the right. I was an hour drive from anywhere so I gritted my teeth and relocated both knuckles.

As bad as that hurt I think I wont do that again