The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 95 45.89%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 40 19.32%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.94%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 50 24.15%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.87%
All of the above! 11 5.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Its telling me that the poll is closed, but ditto on the cases, best investment I made.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The poll does say it's closed....and I have so much to contribute

Please remember this is over 30+ yrs

5 wt mashed in car door by fiance (now wife-37 yrs)
3 wt broken tip when taking unscheduled swim
5 wt broken landing steelhead...hand on rod below 2nd eyelet (got him too!)
3 wt broken by stepping on a section with cleated boots (that's just dumb)
4 wt blew up with fish on. wow....not my fault for once

ugh.

-m
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just went and changed the date, see if you can enter data now,

Ard

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Unlike some polls I have done this one had a purpose. It will allow us to see the ways that most rods become damaged and perhaps help us to avoid having it happen to our own rods.......... again.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Looks like most people are right there with me with breaking rods in car doors ect. Them broken rods can get expensive.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Here's a big reason I had broken rods... loaning them out to friends.
One was T&T Extra Dry Fly loaned to a buddy for his first trout fishing vacation. When it came back he had closed the gap that is supposed to be on a spigot ferrule. T&T took pity on me and fixed it.
The other was loaned to Mr. Nymphfisher. The next time I used it after loaning it out the tip section broke without any undo stress on it. Most likely kissed not very gently with splitshot. The reel came back with scars from that loan too.

I'm not so easy to loan rods out these days for some reason.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Loaning rods out to friends sounds like a selfless act, I wonder why I've never done it??? Oh yeah, read what ^^he just wrote^^
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

On Friday, the 20th of January 2012 at approximately 10:30 a.m., the top two inches of my 590-4 Winston Passport snapped clean off on a tiny 12 inch stocker rainbow, almost as if a surgical saw was used. The air temperature was around 10* and I can only assume the water temperature was in the mid 30's. I attribute the beheading of my rod to the freezing cold temperatures making the graphite very brittle. If anyone else has ever had this happen, or think it was caused by something else, let me know.

Looking forward to a new 590-4 Z-Axis now

-Chase
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chase,

Bummer, not much more I can say about that. When you send it in enclose a message asking for an explanation, perhaps the repair people will be able to tell you what happened there. Obviously there was something wrong at the point where it broke, do you ever remember having a fly or anything hit the tip during use?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Chased,

It could have been damaged caused by hitting the rod with a weighted fly or split shot and that weaken the area.

It could also be you dunked the tip of the rod into the water and the ice froze around the top few inches. Rod tips are made to flex and when that flex is inhibited, it breaks.

Frank
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

today is my first rod break during a fishing trip. I was fishing catching some huge bass. It was great, the sun was shining the fish were pulling hard. I was so productive that my fishing buddy had me start hooking fish just to lure the school over so he could get a shot at them. When i was in the process of doing that it put me in an awkward casting position and i was unlucky enough for a 2/0 clouser to come by and snap my tip right off.