The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 95 45.89%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 40 19.32%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 33 15.94%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 50 24.15%
Other: to be explained in a post 37 17.87%
All of the above! 11 5.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

I was reading a thread where the posters were talking about broken tips. So I thought it would be interesting to get a sampling from the membership about your experiences with breaking a rod. If it becomes apparent that I need to add another category to this pool I will edit one in.

Please choose the response that mirrors your disaster as closely as it can. You can always post specifics regarding special circumstances.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll;

just voted...you know how it happened Ard
Old 10-02-2010, 04:48 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I caught this nice big bow I had to chase down river and I wound up wading out into some boot sucking mud. After I got the fish unhooked and released the rod was sitting on the ground half on land half in the muck. As I tried to pull myself out of the muck I grabbed the tip section of the rod for some unknown stupid reason, got sucked back into the mud while at the same time lifting the rod by the tip. SNAP.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I voted thrice. milt.
ddombos2 likes this.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above.

MP
Old 10-02-2010, 05:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

In just short of 60 years of fishing, the number of rods I've actually 'broken' can be counted on the fingers of one hand (well, maybe add a finger or two from the other). With one notable exception every one was broken due to 'operator error.'

The 'exception' was a true "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED??!!" Rod just exploded right below (not directly adjacent to) the mid Ferrel on a 4 piece rod. Blank just exploded on a forward cast. At some point did the blank get a hard knock that cracked the graphite? Who knows .. but Sage repaired the rod (new rod section) so was good to go in about 30'ish days.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Casting sidearm to a rising brown; got a good solid take; set the hook vertically (got over excited ) and simultaneously snapped my tip off on the bridge abutment that I was standing under. Worse - I lost the fish!

Sage repaired the rod in under two weeks for me; $50.00; well worth it.

Pocono
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Carelessness ....maybe 4-5
Improper use.... 2
Manufacturer's defect..... 3

Except for the defective blanks, I've never returned a rod for a warranty
And those all broke on the first day of use
Don't care for the whole warranty system and most of my rods aren't covered anyway
Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I should point out that you can check any of the boxes that apply to your broken rods. You can enter all five if you have done the grand slam, if you didn't check a box please do.

Now my confessions of man made mishaps;

Other than a bamboo tip that splintered while in use I have broken two tips and one mid section. The first was my 1979 Far & Fine, I made it to 1994 being careful then while moving from one spot to another along a dirt trail along the Penobscot River I left it rigged in the bed of my truck while we moved a mile or so. The result was the tip top breaking off, 8' bed, 7'9" rod, a bad combo. The second one happened in 1996 while moving along Big Pine Creek in PA. this time it was a 9' PM 10 5wt. I put the rod in the back seat of my Bronco in 4 pieces (don't ask me why not in the tube) and while I was stopped and out of the truck my Pointer jumped from the cargo area onto the back seat. Tip broke!

Funny thing, after the rod getting broken in Maine in 94' I bought that Orvis rod carrier but did not use it much till after the second tip got broke. The bamboo was my Flea rod tip and I had a spare so I called the rod shop at Orvis and got it on the record then at the end of the season sent it in. The man who built it was still there at that time and he could not determine what caused the tip to splinter. They replaced the tip and I paid 100 dollars for a third and now have a 3wt with 3 tips

The mid section falls under the improper use category, I thought I was hooking a king with a Grey's Platinum X 9'6" 7wt. and was hitting a big rock or log on the bottom. I had hooked several and they had came loose so I was trying to drive the hook home and perhaps a little farther. Result; snapped the mid section 4" above the joint.

Now I am real careful all the time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Of the 3 mishaps that come readily to mind in answering, I can honestly say I don't know how they broke.
The first was a tip-top that came off and the other two simply snapped while casting. Each were taken care of by the manufacturer with no qualms so I guess they were manufacturing defects.
!