The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 AM

david is on a distinguished road
Default What Line

This my first post here so let me first say HI to everyone in advance and thanks for all of the information on the forum. I have been lurking for a while reading and gathering all of the information i could.

I am relatively new to fly fishing. I have been spin casting for years but just recently started fly fishing. I took a couple casting classes and purchased a St Croix AVID 4wt rod and a Albright reel for it. I let the shop i bought it from set it up with line and a selection of flys. They used scientific Anglers Headstart line. I like it alot and plan on upgrading the reel later on. The other day I went to get a few supplies from the shop and ended up walking out with a new R L WInston 5wt 5 piece rod and a Bauer reel.

Now for my question. What line would you recomend and how do you pick out your line? Some friends recommended the sharkskin line, but it is a bit $$$ and would hate to mess up the line.

I am sure there will be other questions but will start with that.

Thanks in Advance

David
Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Line

That would really depend on what you want to spend. I'm rather frugal. I got my backing and line with the reel when I bought it. BUT, if I had to buy new 5wt. line, it'd probably be this:

Orvis Clearwater Flyline

Only my opinion. You're gonna hear alot of opinions. I will say this, this place is a great place to find information. All of these people are very, very helpful.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to join in and post.

Dang, golly, gee-whiz, I just wrote a long answer and then dumped it by mistake. I hate it when that happens.

First, you need to tell us what you fish for the most. Then we need to know what Winston rod you bought. It would also help to know the area that you fish and are you lake fishing, river fishing or both. I am going to guess that you are trout fishing based on the rod weights you have purchased. So that is what I am going to base my comments on.

The big three, Scientific Anglers, RIO and Cortland all make some very good lines. I have never used an Orvis fly line. Most Winston rods have a softer action that many people like. I would stay away from any of the 1/2 over weight lines. So I wouldn't consider the SA GPX or the RIO Grand. The SA Sharkskin is somewhat of a specialty fly line and it may not be a good choice for you.

I have found the lines I have bought from SA or RIO to be what the manufacture claims the line is good for. So it would pay you to study the lines and descriptions that SA and RIO list on their WEB sites. Make your choice of their best lines that are designed for the type of fishing you do most. A floating trout line is always a good first line to buy for any rod. With more experience you may want to add other lines like sink tips, full sinking, distance or nymph lines. Your location and target fish will determine your needs.

Frank
Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM

david is on a distinguished road

Frank
Thanks for the information. I too hate it when you loose a nice long reply to a post.
To answer some of your questions.
Right now I am fishing for trout. I am in western North carolina so the davidson french broad and a few other holes are all close. I also want to go up to the South Holston and do some fishing.
The rods i have are the AVID 4 wt 2 piece and a WInston LT 5wt 5 piece.
right now i fish some ponds and rivers so both.
I try and stay with stuff made in the USA which is why i went with the Winson and the Bauer reel so if there is a prefered brand made in the USA i would prefer that. My AVID rod has an albright reel on it and is strung with SA Headstart WF-4-f line.

Thanks for the information

Dave
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I like Rio Selective Trout on my slower action rods - my Avid (although it is more Medium to me) and my Bamboo rods. I am not familiar with the Winston rod you bought but one of the responders said it was a slower action rod....If so..the Rio ST would be perfect. I agree with Frank - on slower action rods stay away from the 1/2 wt up lines. If the price of the Rio ST (about $65) is too steep for you Rio has a line around $45 ( the Classic I believe) that is a top quality line and would be, perhaps, a notch above the Headstart line you have now on your Avid.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

For an LT or BL5 Winsotn Rod I would recommend the Cortlands new Precision Platinum. It is a great FISHING line and a very good casting line. It has a longer bely then the old Rocket II taper and it rollcast and Mends better because of it. The Dyna Tip tip floats like a cork. I have a local Bamboo builder who is one of the finest casters I've ever met (He learned to cast from Ted Williams, Ernest Schwiebert and Joan Wulff back in the fifties while working at Paul Youngs shop). I gave him one sample of Platinum and he fell head over heals. It is the finest trout line I've fished.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Don't be afraid to look on ebay for used line as well as on sale line. You can find lots to try cheap. And then get the line that works..

Currently I am a total convert to a triangle taper (long belly) Wolfe. Also get the teaching series line it shows where the belly stops by changing colors.

That line roll cast like a champ.

As soon as 3m (scientific anglers) drops their price down on the shark skill my bet is more people will like it. I have heard it will last 3 times longer than $60 line.. I too am to cheap to pay $100
Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have the Winston LT5 also. Of the Wulff's, Cortlands, SA's and Orvis lines over the past 10 years I've had the rod, the newer Rio Gold is the best line I've found that suit's the rod and my casting style. And like in other ''what line should I buy" posts, I know I push Rio. And like before, I don't work, represent, or even know anyone that works for Rio. Just know what I like and what floats good.