The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 10:32 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at buying a 4 wt and 9wt: A3 or VT2

Looking to round out my arsenal with a 9ft 4wt and a 9ft 8wt. The 4wt would be for delicate presentations on medium sized western rivers and as a backup to my Sage Vantage 5wt. The 8 wt (or possible 9wt) would be for PNW steelhead, salmon, and the occasional trip to BC for chums.

For the 4wt I think I have settled on the A3 (based on my experience with the SAS), although before I got the Vantage I was saving for an VT2 5wt. The price and great reviews swayed me towards the Vantage (the VT2 seems to get mixed reviews).

I was all set to start saving to get a 4wt A3 until I they discontinued the VT2 (I love a good deal), but my favorite fly shop the suggested the VT2 would make a better 8wt the 4wt for my purposes. Neither rod is an immediate need, but I would get more use out of the 4wt now and probably buy the 8wt as a blank for a future build. I could also buy the 4wt as a blank and build it now.

I'm open to thoughts or suggestions so fire away!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking at buying a 4 wt and 9wt: A3 or VT2

If you get a chance try a gloomis streamdance for your 4wt. It's a great rod!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
If you get a chance try a gloomis streamdance for your 4wt. It's a great rod!!!
I did and you are correct, they are very nice. But they are twice what I am willing/can afford to pay for a rod.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know much about the VT2...except a friend of mine bought one and didn't keep it for longAs for the Scott I've got an A2 5 wt which is not really different from the A3,as I've already told here it's a very easy to cast rod and I use it with a 4wt line(think I've seen some for sale on ebay at a great price)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I have made several posts on different threads recommending Redington rods. I just want to clarify that I do not work for Redington nor do I own one of their rods. However, I have cast several since that is the brand my local shop carries. Each time I am surprised. I will own one of these rods in the future. Seeing as how Sage owns them and their rods are built with Sage technology and research I dont see how you could go wrong. Im not sure what the price difference is between a comparable Redington but Id recommend checking them out.
Im no expert in any sense of the word and have not cast many rods, including the ones you speak of so feel free to take this for what worth you choose give it.
Theres my half-nickel.......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Theres my half-nickel.......
Hey Seth,
I love how you had to get that extra half cent in!

Fireroad,
You will get a few different responses on which is the better rod of the two. Try casting them. Whichever one casts the best for you is the one you want.

MP
Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I own an A3 5 wt. and a G2 4 wt. Both are fantastic rods. The A3 has a very soft tip for protecting those tippets and is very light. For $330 I think they are as good as anything out there in a medium fast action.

As for the VT2, I have never really heard anybody that was truly excited about them. Weren't they replaced by the VXP? Kind of a weird price point. Not really inexpensive but not really top of the line. Why not a Flight or another Vantage or A3 in the 8 weight depending on your action preference?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Hey Seth,
You will get a few different responses on which is the better rod of the two. Try casting them. Whichever one casts the best for you is the one you want.

MP
I agree, but the problem is that none of the shops anywhere near me have any VT2s left and the closest Scott dealer is 6 hrs away. I have cast both rods in a 5wt so I can guess on how the 4 wt would feel ..but not in 8wt which can be a whole different beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
I own an A3 5 wt. and a G2 4 wt. Both are fantastic rods. The A3 has a very soft tip for protecting those tippets and is very light. For $330 I think they are as good as anything out there in a medium fast action.

As for the VT2, I have never really heard anybody that was truly excited about them. Weren't they replaced by the VXP? Kind of a weird price point. Not really inexpensive but not really top of the line. Why not a Flight or another Vantage or A3 in the 8 weight depending on your action preference?
Most of the VT2 reviews I have read seem to be split 50/50. It has been replaced and is going at discounted prices, thus the reason I was considering it as an 8wt.

For my 8wt I want to go with a a faster med-fast then the Vantage or A3 so looking at the Flight might not be a bad idea
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Fireroad,

When you cast the Loomis Streamdance did you see a Loomis Xperience?

Imxer
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the Vantage 4wt? I was surprised at how nice the Vantage was when someone let me try their 6wt this past Spring. I'm one of those people who believe there's a difference between 4 and 5 wt rods of the same model, so you might like the Vantage in a 4wt. Your other option would be to buy the Scott and VT2 from online dealers that have a decent return policy.