The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Scott or Diamondback

Hi-

I'm considering purchasing a new fly rod, mainly used for nymphing on medium to larger streams (probably will use it for dries as well...). Anyway, I have 2 Diamondback Diamondglass rods currently, both of which I love. I don't think I'm going to find a suitable fiberglass rod in the 9' range so I've been looking at either the Scott A2 or the Diamondback (brand loyalty...maybe a little) Americana series.

I would like a medium to medium-fast (erring on the slower side...can't stray too far from fiberglass) action fly rod in the aforementioned 9' range.

Anyone out there have experience with either of these 2 rods? How do they cast? Strong points? Weak points? Any help would be well, helpful!

Thanks,
Seth
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott or Diamondback

I did a BIG comparison a while back when I was searching for a real nice 4wt rod. I compared a Scott A2 & a Sage FLi. Both rods were awesome in my hand & it was a semi-difficult choice. Like you I have several rods from the same manufacturer, Scott. I did end up choosing the Sage FLi. I have never regretted my choice. The Sage is so light & casts a tandem rig so easy. If you like one rod maker, stay with them. My thought has always been that whenever I buy, I buy something I plan on keeping & buy one that has a lifetime warranty.

You may try looking a Sage, just a thought,

Tie One On--------------------<*))))))))><
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 4 weight A2, and got a good deal on one from an internet dealer ($199). It is medium-fast, and similar to the Sage Fli action in my hands. If you would prefer more of a medium action, again in a Scott rod, consider the G2 which is also on sale at many shops, but in the $450-500 range. The G2 is my favorite small-stream, technical graphite rod. As you know, all the Scott rods carry lifetime warranties.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

I have a Scott A2 in a 7'6 4wt and love it for mid size creeks and light nymphs in lakes. Its a great rod I do not have much experience with Diamondback rods. the only rods i have that are a moderate action and have a very forgiving feel and action are my Winston rods both in the LT series. Personally i would go with the Scott rod. good luck and good fishing
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I have an A2 5wt which I like very much. With the modern rod makers making faster rods, I would say that the A2 is definatly more on the moderate side. The G model is a more fuller flexing action than the A. In the past I had a V model warranteed without any complications. Now on another subject I had heard the Diamondback rods has been sold.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
I have an A2 5wt which I like very much. With the modern rod makers making faster rods, I would say that the A2 is definatly more on the moderate side. The G model is a more fuller flexing action than the A. In the past I had a V model warranteed without any complications. Now on another subject I had heard the Diamondback rods has been sold.
Hi-

Thanks for the info everybody! I have a guy at a local fly-shop willing to sell me the A2 (9' 5-wt, 4-piece) for $200.00 even...is that a deal?

Concerning Diamondback fly rods, yes the company has been sold to Cortland of NY. The VT factory is now closed, I believe and and the rods future is a bit uncertain...that said, I really like my 2 Diamondglass rods so I'm willing to give the Diamondback name a shot in terms of a longer rod...

If only all life's decisions were "Which fly rod do I choose..."

~Seth
Old 09-04-2008, 01:48 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

The A2 is a good deal for $200
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Many rods in the $200 price range are mass produced in Asia. Some of them require the addtional purchase of a rod tube. So I would say purchasing a quality USA made rod for $200 with a tube is a good bargain.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Try a Diamondback Classic Western CWR904-4 . I like the the rod - lot of power and a god medium action. Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co. have still the Diamondback rods in stock.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

99% of my fishing is done with Diamondback Aeroflex 5wt rods (2 and 3-pc).
I owned an Americana 8 wt, and it was very smooth lawn casting. Never
had it on the water, but it's definitely in the medium-medium+ category.
The people I spoke with at Diamondback swear the Americana is/was made
in the USA. Prices are very reasonable, but you may have to buy it in 2-pc
configuration.