The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM

spanky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best trout rod under $150

Take a look at the Fenwick Eagle rods. Mfr. suggested retail is $109.00, I bought a Eagle in the the early 80's and it has been a fine one. It taught 2 sons how to fly fish with it and is still in excellent shape. Oldest son uses it for his primary rod.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
Keep an eye on the Sage Fli series of rods since they're being discontinued. I've already seen some 4 pc rods go for as low as 160 bucks or so. That's for a rod that had a MSRP of about $315.

Racine - I bought a 490-4 wt ZXL a few weeks back and that rod's the cat's meow! I actually like it better than either my 3 or 5 wt SLTs. It was the last one in a shop in northern NM and he was getting out of the Sage business. I picked it up for $435
Good for you! I am just amazed at how the SLT series feels, casts and fishes. I can't wait to cast the ZXL. There are a few good deals to be had out there and the TFO was one of the originals but for my money Albright A5 is a downright steal when you factor in performance, feel and value.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Take a look at the Fenwick Eagle rods. Mfr. suggested retail is $109.00, I bought a Eagle in the the early 80's and it has been a fine one. It taught 2 sons how to fly fish with it and is still in excellent shape. Oldest son uses it for his primary rod.
Here's Fenwick's top of the line rod for half price
The copy says it's an 8'6", 5wt, but the model number is for a 9' rod.
Fisherman's Factory Outlet: Fenwick HMXF 905 Fly Rod
Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 AM

red9yj is on a distinguished road

I bought a Cortland CL 8.5 4/5wt 2 pc for $100 and I like it so far. Also bought a Ross flycast reel. Now I just need some good line and more time on the water.

Thanks for the replies and I'll do a review after a few more trips.

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Great rod- enjoy it! The rod and the time on the water. If you enjoy the roll cast, a friend suggested the Wulf triangle taper as the line to beat. I haven't thrown that line yet, but it's the next line I'm going to buy. Otherwise, I've been happy with my 444 WF Cortland line. Happy fishing!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by red9yj View Post
Hello, I'm new to fly fishing and would like some input on the best rod for under $150. I'm not going to dump a bunch of cash into this yet!

Brian Peay
Blue Ridge Ga
That Fenwick is a good deal. Also check out Echo for a little more money. Or build you one.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:02 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

Echo Classic.

Albright GP

The yellow Eagle Claw fiberglass rod from Wal-Mart for $18.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:07 PM

fischerofmen77 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I would have to say that the Echo Classic fly fishing rod is an excellent rod. The 5 wt, 4pc rod, with sock and tube is $149.95. I have a 4wt, 6wt and 7wt. Go to a shop near your house and cast one....you'll love it.
John
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Let me add to the list:

You MIGHT be able to get a Sage RPL off of Ebay for $150. That would be tough to beat, except the non-existent warranty.

Another good buy can be old various Orvis models on Ebay, such as old "Silver Label" rods.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 AM

red9yj is on a distinguished road

I really like the Cortland CL, had it about a week and cut the tip off in the car door (about a 1/4" down from the base of the tip), I drilled out the tip eye and epoxyed it back on. The rod feels and cast great.