The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best trout rod under $150

Quote:
Originally Posted by red9yj View Post
I really like the Cortland CL, had it about a week and cut the tip off in the car door (about a 1/4" down from the base of the tip), I drilled out the tip eye and epoxyed it back on. The rod feels and cast great.
I'm sure that's no big deal, but when you're ready (if you should want to do this later) Cortland will take it back with a $20 processing fee and send you a new rod, as long as you bought it from them or an authorized dealer. Also, there may be invisible (or barely visible) cracks that formed at the break and this might give on you over time or when you catch "the big one." So it's something to keep in mind- just don't send it to them with the fix if you ever do send it as they may interpret this as a modification.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the rod even at 1/4" short. Hope it brings you lots of smiles on the water.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a Quarrow 9' 7wt. for Silver salmon and have landed over 200 fish with it. I also use it for casting streamers for Trout and Char and it preforms as well as any of the Orvis, Greys, Lamiflex, or St. Croix rods I own.

I understand that you will need something perhaps a bit lighter and these rods are available in light Trout weights. Search eBay for Quarrow Fly Rod and you will find them. A guy in Pa. I think is the dealer.

I paid $50 plus $10 for postage to Alaska for the 7wt. Check them out I found them to be the best value I've ever found!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:00 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I also have an A-5 5wt. and really like it. I have cast Echo rods and they are nice as well.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I also have an A-5 5wt. and really like it. I have cast Echo rods and they are nice as well.
I've been thinking of getting an echo for a long time. How would you compare it to the A-5 in terms of action and responsiveness?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:41 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I am no expert caster, so take this with a grain of salt but I feel like the Echo Classic series might be just a titch slower than the A-5, but it has a very similar feel. From what I understand (having never cast it) the Echo 2 series (with 2 different tips....what a cool idea!!!) is a bit faster.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I would go with TFO. I love my rod and it was $150 for the four piece Professional series