The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Scott A2 Action?

Hi-

If you have experience with the Scott A2, what is this rod's action? Fast, medium-fast, fast (erring on the moderate side)?

Thanks for any help!

~Seth
Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Scott A2 Action?

Hi Seth,

I have not fished a Scott A2 but I think it is a medium fast action and the G2 is a medium action. So the A2 should be a bit faster than the G2. The G2 is a wonderful rod and hard to beat as a dry fly rod. The A2 should cast fine and be a better all around action than the G2. I think you can expect the A2 to be a good rod for dry flies and nymphs.

Please keep in mind that I have not cast an A2 rod. I waited to answer this post hoping someone who has an A2 would reply.

Frank
Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

It is medium-fast, and I would agree it is more versatile than the G2. It feels somewhat like my Loomis Streamdance, and a lot like a Sage Fli. The G2 is a great rod, and one of my favorites if I am working at short-medium range, primarily with dry flies.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I recommend try before you buy..!!!

I love the Scott G on the lawn and test casting it is great!!! However, my frist try after buying (used thank god @ $280) I snag hooked 2/3 of my fish Nymphing doubles. I then bought a scott S3. No snagg's and casting is a bit less delicate in actuall stream tests..

So again.. Try before you buy if you can... and the lawn or parking lot don't count.

This summer I have become a total fan of Scott.. They don't have the marketing as Orvis or Sage (nor prestige) but they really are built well and you can feel it down the rod and into your arms as a fish is on.

MY two bits.. I am still learning but this year I did learn a walmart rod is a walmart rod.. a $600 rod is tough to chew but it makes the experience so much better. I have tried out at least 6 rods this summer and find the experience totally enlightening and each rod is different. And, the parking lot does not a rod make. Find a buddy that has rods. Find a distributer that will let you try. The Loomis guy let me try 3 high end rods one weekend.