The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Cabelas TQR vs. White River Classic Ultralight

Looking to get a rod under 6 feet in length. Originally I was looking at the White River Classic Ultralight paired with the Bass Pro Classic Reel. (Either in the 5' or 5'8" model) for $209.99. Then I came across the Cabelas TQR 5' and 5'6" rods paired with their Prestige Plus reel for $150.

Anyone have any experience with either of these rods?

The one major downside of the Cabela's TQR is it only comes in 2 pieces, and the White River comes in 3 pieces. (I'll be using this as a backpacking rod, so packability is a factor).

Lastly, I was reading the 5 foot models really limit the casting range, as opposed to the 5'6" and 5'8" models. Anyone have experience for casting lengths between the two?

Thanks in advance,

Gusto
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cabelas TQR vs. White River Classic Ultralight

I have the White River Classic Ultralight 4 wt, 5'8" and love it. The thing weighs 1.5 ounces, works great on tree crowded stream, and cost pretty good out to about 25' in areas where I can actually cast.

It's a fine small stream rod.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to post in a follow-up. I ended up ordering the 5'8" Classic White River Rod from Bass Pro. I've yet to use it, but wanted to let all my backpacking angler pals know of something I encountered out of the package: the case is WAY heavy for such a light rod. I kind of have a thing for weighing each piece of gear, especially when heading out into the backcountry for some hiking/mountaineering/and/or fishing, so I tossed my new Classic 5'8" rod, rod sock, and rod tube on the scale and it totaled out to near 1lb 7oz. I then picked up my 7' 6" Traditional II rod, made by Cabelas. Without even weighing it, I could tell it was a lighter total package. I took the rod and rod sock out of the Classic case and managed to squeeze it in with the Traditional II rod. The total of the Traditional II case, Traditional II rod and rod sock, and the Classic rod and rodsock totaled out to 1lb 2oz. This comes out 5oz LIGHTER than just the Classic rod in its own case!

Why Bass Pro is making such a heavy case for an "ultralight" rod I do not know. Lucky for me, I can carry BOTH rods in the same case.

Gusto
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
Why Bass Pro is making such a heavy case for an "ultralight" rod I do not know. Lucky for me, I can carry BOTH rods in the same case.

Gusto

I pretty much take both my 8'6" Redington CT 4 wt and mywhite river 5'8" 4 wt down to the creek in the redington case when I'm going to a creek I don't know. Then I can chose which on I want to use when I'm creekside.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I owned the Classic Ultralight in a little longer model. It performed well enough. I used in as a backpacking rod and for really small streams as well. I did like the fact it broke down so small. I was fishing with my cousin who also used the same rod and his broke in the backcast! For no real reason. I passed mine down to my wife, and lend it out to the occasional friend who does not own a rod this size. It still fishes great.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 AM

sneektip is on a distinguished road

Something to think about: Shorter isn't always better in cramped spaces. I backpack with the Cabelas 8ft 7pc 4wt, and use mostly roll casts. Of coarse I can backcast when space allows, but the "longer" rod allows for better roll casts and better high-sticking, which I do most of the time in high mountain sreams, anyhow.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

You ever think about replacing your rod tube all together? I'm also an ultra-lighter. I put my pack rod in one of those clear tubes used for 4' flourescent lights! They even come with end caps that can be plugged and glued on. They're not bullet proof, by any means, but they haven't let me down yet. PM me if you'd like more details.