The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis TLS Power Matrix

Hi All...
I'm looking for a 9' 5wt to be used primarly from my float tube. Right now I'm using a Sage Fli 6wt which I like but the 6wt is more than i need for the size trout coming out of my favorite local stillwater.
Fri. I was at a newly open Orvis store in our area and was looking at the TLS and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this rod. I know it comes in both a mid and tip flex. The salesman said the tip flex would be the way to go for use from the float tube.
I'm aware Sage is closing out the Fli so I know this would be a good time to get a good deal but I had a very favorible experience with Orvis concerning some waders so I thought I would at least check out their rods. Hard to beat their 30 test drive period.
Thanks...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis TLS Power Matrix

Flydog

This spring I bought a used Orvis TLS (905-4) tip flex off EBay. In the past I've always used the mid-flex. I really like the rod but it took a little getting used to. Its more of an individual casting style issue. I don't know why the salesman would say a tip flex is better in a float tube. I would definately recommend that you try both rods before you purchase to see which fits your casting style.

Larry
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 AM

The salesmans rational for the tip flex being a better choice for the float tube was that the stiffer rod would allow you to get longer casts and your casts would be less likley to be slapping the water on your back cast.
I'm still too new at this to be able to get a whole lot from casting in a parking lot. Thats why I liked the idea the 30 day test drive. If the tip flex wasn't working for me I could go trade it for the mid flex.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you should cast as many rods as you can, and note where they flex. Then you can go buy a rod that flexes right where you want it to.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

I had a TLS PM 4-weight, around 8'6" I think, and with a flex around 7. I hated it. It was my least favorite rod I ever owned. I tried several different weights and types of lines, and just couldn't feel the rod load very well. It just felt "numb."

I have an Echo 2, 9' 6-weight which would be a great float tube rod.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
I had a TLS PM 4-weight, around 8'6" I think, and with a flex around 7. I hated it. It was my least favorite rod I ever owned. I tried several different weights and types of lines, and just couldn't feel the rod load very well. It just felt "numb."

I have an Echo 2, 9' 6-weight which would be a great float tube rod.
Thanks for the reply.
I ended up going with a second Sage Fli in a 5wt. Found a close out price I couldn't pass up on a rod I already know I like.