The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nymphing rod advice...

I agree with Frank that a 9'6" rod is likely the best pick. 5wt or 6wt, your call. For more reach, a 10' rod might seem even better, but that gets to be no fun to hold out at arm's length all day following drifts.

One with a fighting butt would be nice, as you'll be able to use it for some spey casting as well if you like.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I'm not sure I agree on the stiffer tip. Nymph fishing involves lots of light tippet midge hook size work (at least in the midwest). I regularly fish size 22 nymphs and they are real effective. I like to protect those light tippets and a stiff tip is great for hook set break offs. Will you be doing any Czech nymphing? I like Ten foot rods for nymph fishing. The extra length helps with mending with indicators and line control. We (Cortland) just came out with some real nice ten footers in the Brook series. They are real well balanced rods, and they feel like nine footers in the hand. I'm sure Winston, Scott and Sage also make some great Ten footers.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=burk48237;36112]I'm not sure I agree on the stiffer tip. Nymph fishing involves lots of light tippet midge hook size work (at least in the midwest). I regularly fish size 22 nymphs and they are real effective. I like to protect those light tippets and a stiff tip is great for hook set break offs. Will you be doing any Czech nymphing? I like Ten foot rods for nymph fishing. The extra length helps with mending with indicators and line control. We (Cortland) just came out with some real nice ten footers in the Brook series. They are real well balanced rods, and they feel like nine footers in the hand. I'm sure Winston, Scott and Sage also make some great Ten footers

I bought a 8' 4wt. Brook earlier this year and I love fishing that rod. This is my first year at fly fishing so I'm still finding my way but of the 3 rods I have, the Brook is the one I enjoy fishing the most. My best casts seem to come with this rod and it mends very well for it's length. Earlier this year I was fishing the Mammoth Lakes area and had a guide for the morning and he was quite impressed with the action and feel of the Brook.
For the price and considering you get a rod tube that allows you to leave your reel mounted, this rod is hard to beat.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough

My first rod was a Cortland CL 4 piece (I do alot of back country fishing) loved the rod but it was alot heavier then my current 4 piece. After hiking into a lake fishing the rest of the day, getting up in the morning and fishing the whole next day my arm was about to fall off when I used the Cortland... It is not uncommon for me to fish more then 12hrs in one day. How does the Brook Series hold up? Is it a heavy rod?
I broke that Cortland CL by sitting on it during a trip one time... you know that feeling, SNAP! OH NO I just sat on my rod tip didnt I? Cortland replaced the rod with no hassles just 35$ fee... great customer service so I would definately buy a Cortland again if it meets my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I'm not sure I agree on the stiffer tip. Nymph fishing involves lots of light tippet midge hook size work (at least in the midwest). I regularly fish size 22 nymphs and they are real effective. I like to protect those light tippets and a stiff tip is great for hook set break offs. Will you be doing any Czech nymphing? I like Ten foot rods for nymph fishing. The extra length helps with mending with indicators and line control. We (Cortland) just came out with some real nice ten footers in the Brook series. They are real well balanced rods, and they feel like nine footers in the hand. I'm sure Winston, Scott and Sage also make some great Ten footers.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMtFishing View Post
My first rod was a Cortland CL 4 piece (I do alot of back country fishing) loved the rod but it was alot heavier then my current 4 piece. After hiking into a lake fishing the rest of the day, getting up in the morning and fishing the whole next day my arm was about to fall off when I used the Cortland... It is not uncommon for me to fish more then 12hrs in one day. How does the Brook Series hold up? Is it a heavy rod?
I broke that Cortland CL by sitting on it during a trip one time... you know that feeling, SNAP! OH NO I just sat on my rod tip didnt I? Cortland replaced the rod with no hassles just 35$ fee... great customer service so I would definately buy a Cortland again if it meets my needs.
I've had almost no issues with returns on them as far as returns. And they are light and very smooth fishing instruments. The Brooks are the real deal and I'm saying this as a guy with 6 Winston's in his closet. I fished the 10' 5 weight for Pinks a couple of weeks ago thee days straight with a 5 weight hooking 60 two to five pound salmon a day. I had no issues. And the rod really is light, it feels like a nine footer in your hand. Also it's now cheaper to return a Cortland rod, the fee is only 20$