The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Nymphing rod advice... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/6007-nymphing-rod-advice.html)

CoMtFishing 09-24-2008 04:06 AM

Nymphing rod advice...

Alright what do you look for in a nymphing rod? This will be used on bigger fish waters hopefully targeting trout in the 10lb class. So it will be a 6wt rod besides that what makes a great nymph rod?

Jackster 09-24-2008 07:56 AM

Re: Nymphing rod advice...

I look for a rod with the length needed to to control the line effectively, feel yet stiffness for sensing the fish and for hook setting, but just as important, if not more so, light weight to save my shoulder after high-sticking day after day.
I like Winston BIIx's for that use.

FrequentFlyer 09-24-2008 12:14 PM

CoMtFishing,

I'm in Colorado as well, and out of curiosity. Where are you planning to use this rod?

jclampwork88 09-24-2008 12:23 PM

I also like the winston for nymphing. I like the action it gives.

John

CoMtFishing 09-24-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer (Post 36010)
CoMtFishing,

I'm in Colorado as well, and out of curiosity. Where are you planning to use this rod?

It will mostly be used in South Park as I live closest to there and then the Taylor, Gunnison, Blue rivers and a few lakes like the Blue Mesa, Taylor, Granby and the sorts... Potentially the North Platte in Colorado and Wyoming as well. My number one rule when chasing big fish is fish big fish waters.

Frank Whiton 09-24-2008 06:38 PM

Hi CoMtFishing,

I don't know what might be the best but here is what I use. I have a fast action 9'6" 5wt Sage. I like the faster action so when I use weighted flies or split shot it doesn't slow the action too much. I like to tip flip mend and I find the faster action works best for that. I also use a GPX line. When I replace that line I am going to try the Nymph line from RIO. The longer rod gives me a lot of up stream mend with a reach cast. I also feel that I get a quicker hook set with the stiffer rod.

I am sure others have a system that works for them with slower action rods but I like my setup.

Frank

imxer 09-25-2008 11:57 AM

With Frank on the stiffer rod, especially the tip.
Take a look at the Loomis GL3.
Made in USA. :smile:

CoMtFishing 09-25-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imxer (Post 36081)
With Frank on the stiffer rod, especially the tip.
Take a look at the Loomis GL3.
Made in USA. :smile:

Can I ask why you like a stiffer tip? I was thinking without using an indicator like when high sticking or tight lining in the lakes being able to see the tip twitch would be a good thing? Am I wrong in thinking this?

imxer 09-25-2008 06:19 PM

No I don't think you are wrong, or that I am right. I fish mostly in rivers & find
a stiffer tip gives me quicker hook setting with less movement of the rod.
Actually there probably is no "right & wrong" in this matter, it's just about
what works for each of us.:smile:

CoMtFishing 09-25-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imxer (Post 36096)
No I don't think you are wrong, or that I am right. I fish mostly in rivers & find
a stiffer tip gives me quicker hook setting with less movement of the rod.
Actually there probably is no "right & wrong" in this matter, it's just about
what works for each of us.:smile:

Nope this is exactly the type of info Im looking for... the why you prefer this setup over another, I plan on trying out a few rods before I commit to a new one but looking basically for guidance on what people like so I can pay attention to it when trying them out.