The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road
Default Need/Want a new Spey Rod

I just sold my old 9wt Sage VT2 in order to raise some funds to purchase a spey rod. I was wondering what a good rod to purchase would be. I am thinking that I would like to keep the rod under $600, and I will be using my Ross Momentum 5 on it. Also, I was thinking of staying around the 8/9wt. range, and maybe in the 12-14' length. I have pretty much been using Sage rods exclusively, as I have enjoyed them. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Need/Want a new Spey Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben in the woods View Post
I just sold my old 9wt Sage VT2 in order to raise some funds to purchase a spey rod. I was wondering what a good rod to purchase would be. I am thinking that I would like to keep the rod under $600, and I will be using my Ross Momentum 5 on it. Also, I was thinking of staying around the 8/9wt. range, and maybe in the 12-14' length. I have pretty much been using Sage rods exclusively, as I have enjoyed them. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
One word of Warning, I'm not sure the Momemtum 5 is large enough for a 9 weight Spey line. If they are the same size as the Big Games you'll need the 6. As far rods, I've heard a lot of good about Beulah, Sage, and CND in that price range. I don't know what the new Hardys are selling for but the Swift use to retail for 695$. They are excellent and super light for their size. I have the 13 8/9 and the 11'6" 7, and fish both a lot in the mid west.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks! I really appreciate the heads up on the reel situation. What's a good Cortland line to use, I will be fishing for steelhead in the Northwest.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ben,

Your Momentum 5 may work. It depends on what style line you use. I think that RIO is the leader in Spey lines in the US.

I suggest you call or Email Kaufmann's Streamborn in Tigard, Oregon. Talk to them and tell them what you want to do. They can even arrange Spey casting lessons on the Deschutes. Here is a link that will have the telephone numbers and Email address.

Frank
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Thanks Frank!

I will actually be around Tigard next Tuesday. I think I will try to fit them in to my schedule. I will let you know what I come up with.

Ben
Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Hi Ben,

HERE'S an article you might enjoy.

This information might help you make a decision. The folks at Kaufmanns' certainly won't lead you astray. Don't quote me, but I think Ks' will rent you an outfit if you want to try one first. Maybe, you already have a good idea about what you want.

I had the good fortune many years ago as a guest of one of the major distilleries in Scotland of landing a nice fish on the River Spey—and, being able to serve the fish at dinner in the hotel. A memory that will last forever.

Allen R
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywgn View Post
Hi Ben,

HERE'S an article you might enjoy.

This information might help you make a decision. The folks at Kaufmanns' certainly won't lead you astray. Don't quote me, but I think Ks' will rent you an outfit if you want to try one first. Maybe, you already have a good idea about what you want.

I had the good fortune many years ago as a guest of one of the major distilleries in Scotland of landing a nice fish on the River Spey—and, being able to serve the fish at dinner in the hotel. A memory that will last forever.

Allen R
I'm almost more jealous about the distillery then I am about the fishing. Which Single Malt was it?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
.... Which Single Malt was it?
Macallan.

Allen R
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywgn View Post
Macallan.

Allen R
Damn, I broke open a Mac 15 on my last salmon trip. That is smooth but rich stuff. I think my favorite is Lagvullen 16