The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Opinions from owners of Scott A2/A3 9' 8wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/60322-opinions-owners-scott-a2-a3-9-8wt.html)

fireroad 10-14-2010 02:22 PM

Opinions from owners of Scott A2/A3 9' 8wt

I just barely started looking at 8wts for salmon and steelhead and a friend of mine emails me that his local shop (no where near me) has a brand new A2 in the closeout bin for $175 otd! I try not to buy rods I have not cast before, but the deal is calling my name. I wanted to hear from owners of this rod about their likes and dislikes and how it does on windy days (how does it handle being overlined). I am semi-familiar with this Scott line as I have a 4wt SAS and have fished a 5wt A3.

fireroad 10-17-2010 09:00 AM

Re: Opinions from owners of Scott A2/A3 9' 8wt

Nobody owns, or has owned, one of these rods?

MoscaPescador 10-17-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireroad (Post 153204)
Nobody owns, or has owned, one of these rods?

Not me.

But I have casted the A3 with a few different lines. In regards to uplining the A3, it handles 325 grains. At that grain mass, it slowed the rod too much for my liking. I felt the blank flex all the way down to the grip. Your mileage may vary since I like really fast rods at the eight weight line weight rating.

MP

unsociable 12-11-2012 02:52 AM

Hi

I have had the A2 5wt in 9' and that is the only rod ever I regret selling, luckily it was to a very close friend that looks after his gear and changes it often, so now I have the opportunity to get it back. I would like to ad to the question to ask if the newer 4piece rods perform and "feel" as great as the 2 piece rods? I would love to get the A4 in a 10' 5wt but its a lot of cash to fork out!

I know I can tell you that EVERY Scott fly rod I have ever cast in my limited 4yr fly fishing career ha made me want to own it, apart from one or two sages/redingtons not very many rods do that!

Gert

coin 12-26-2012 07:07 AM

I have an A3 9ft #8 that I use for Atlantic salmon on smaller rivers and I have to say I love it's action and how the rod loads. Wouldn't dream of replacing it and it always travels in my car with me if I'm heading out. At the stated price, I don't think ŷou can lose to be honest!

I have a Rio Trout line that works fine for me. I'm traditionally a staunch Sage owner but I have to say that the A3 has me reconsidering my next purchase.

sweetandsalt 12-26-2012 02:47 PM

I have no experience with A2 or 3 but I do have the S3s #8 and it is a very fine rod. Scott is a great company that designs and builds top flight rods.