The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: Buy it or keeping looking?
Jump on it, it's a great deal on a great rod! 1 50.00%
Hold off until you find a deal on a rod you can actually cast. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions from owners of Scott A2/A3 9' 8wt

I just barely started looking at 8wts for salmon and steelhead and a friend of mine emails me that his local shop (no where near me) has a brand new A2 in the closeout bin for $175 otd! I try not to buy rods I have not cast before, but the deal is calling my name. I wanted to hear from owners of this rod about their likes and dislikes and how it does on windy days (how does it handle being overlined). I am semi-familiar with this Scott line as I have a 4wt SAS and have fished a 5wt A3.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions from owners of Scott A2/A3 9' 8wt

Nobody owns, or has owned, one of these rods?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Nobody owns, or has owned, one of these rods?
Not me.

But I have casted the A3 with a few different lines. In regards to uplining the A3, it handles 325 grains. At that grain mass, it slowed the rod too much for my liking. I felt the blank flex all the way down to the grip. Your mileage may vary since I like really fast rods at the eight weight line weight rating.

MP
Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 AM

unsociable is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have had the A2 5wt in 9' and that is the only rod ever I regret selling, luckily it was to a very close friend that looks after his gear and changes it often, so now I have the opportunity to get it back. I would like to ad to the question to ask if the newer 4piece rods perform and "feel" as great as the 2 piece rods? I would love to get the A4 in a 10' 5wt but its a lot of cash to fork out!

I know I can tell you that EVERY Scott fly rod I have ever cast in my limited 4yr fly fishing career ha made me want to own it, apart from one or two sages/redingtons not very many rods do that!

Gert
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 AM

coin is on a distinguished road

I have an A3 9ft #8 that I use for Atlantic salmon on smaller rivers and I have to say I love it's action and how the rod loads. Wouldn't dream of replacing it and it always travels in my car with me if I'm heading out. At the stated price, I don't think ŷou can lose to be honest!

I have a Rio Trout line that works fine for me. I'm traditionally a staunch Sage owner but I have to say that the A3 has me reconsidering my next purchase.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have no experience with A2 or 3 but I do have the S3s #8 and it is a very fine rod. Scott is a great company that designs and builds top flight rods.