The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 02:13 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default most versatile 3 rod quiver?

I currently own a 9' 5 wt and a 9' 8 wt and looking to expand to another rod to cover more species, I already cover TONS of fishing with just those 2 rods, I haven't really been to a place where one of those didn't work well, but want some extra options. I am thinking a short 7-8 foot 3 wt for high altitude small trout fishing, or a long 10 ft 6 wt for a solid trout indicator mending rod. What rod do you guys think will best enable me open up my options a bit more?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: most versatile 3 rod quiver?

6'6" or 7' for the small streams. Unless you prefer large rivers then I would say go to a two hand 13' 5/6 or 6/7 for large trout and other species that will hit a swinging fly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you fish the same routine over and over again, you will never be satisfied with a three rod quiver. As you start expanding your horizons, you can find more niches that you will need to fill.

There is a saying. You will always need one more rod.

MP

Edit: To be fair, of the two rods that you are considering, get the rod that you will feel that you use the most.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-16-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added something.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was fishing for native trout today: narrow stream (25-30 feet at the widest points), and brought a 4wt and 5wt. The 5wt was simply too splashy for this
stream compared to the 4wt. My wife and I decided to take turns using the 4wt, but I could have hiked back to my Jeep and grabbed another 4wt (lazy). I've never fished a 3wt, but I can land a 4wt line without making the slightest ripple. Today was honking windy, so the 4wt might have an edge over a 3wt there. I would say that a responsive and supple 4wt 8 1/2' or less would be a great addition for your small stream fishing. I happen to use an 8 1/2' 4wt for 95% of all my fishing, from trout to bluegill, smallmouth and even smaller largemouth; rivers, streams, and lakes.

Last edited by FrankB2; 10-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I was fishing for native trout today: narrow stream (25-30 feet at the widest points), and brought a 4wt and 5wt. The 5wt was simply too splashy for this
stream compared to the 4wt. My wife and I decided to take turns using the 4wt, but I could have hiked back to my Jeep and grabbed another 4wt (lazy). I've never fished a 3wt, but I can land a 4wt line without making the slightest ripple. Today was honking windy, so the 4wt might have an edge over a 3wt there. I would say that a responsive and supple 4wt 8 1/2' or less would be a great addition for your small stream fishing. I happen to use an 8 1/2' 4wt for 95% of all my fishing, from trout to bluegill, smallmouth and even smaller largemouth; rivers, streams, and lakes.
I love my Sage TXL 4710-3

7'-10" 4wt. comes in 3-pieces and weighs only 2.375 oz. It weighs the same or less than a lot of 3wt rods and it is plenty light for the fishing I do. Look around and you can find them on clearance as the TXL-F series has come out recently.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default The 3wt would be a great fit.

I have had the following rods for years (different models, but the same parameters): 5wt 9', 9wt 9' and a 3wt 7.5'. The 3wt is a nice step away from a 5wt. It is lighter tackle, but it still can handle bigger flies and longer distances within its range. I recently purchased a 1wt, but I have not had a chance to use it. However, I view the 1wt as a specialty rod to turn a small fish into a fighter.

FWIW if you like a full flex (slower) rod, Orvis has the Superfine on sale for ~$475. My 3wt and 1wt are both Superfines. It might be worth a look.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd likely go with the lighter rod. I've been using my 3wt more and more lately because its just fun.

Long rods for trout are great and all, but they're kinda specialized. I've got a fine 10' 5/6wt but for most of my trout fishing I'm better off grabbing my 9' 4wt. The 10' rod is great for nymphing and streamers, but fishing dries or emergers with it is like swatting a mosquito with a baseball bat.

That said, its also best to go with what you'll use more, which likely depends on where you live. If you're near big rivers and plenty of big fish, the 10' 6wt might be the way to go.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

My favorite rod for small trout stream fishing here in the Midwest is an 8'8" Loop Opti Creek 3 wt. In fact, it's may be my favorite rod period to fish. I love catching trout on that rod. A blast.

Cheers,
Mike.