The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Orvis Streamline 865-4, Mid Flex Fly Rod

Hi-

Anyone out there have any experience with this rod?

I am looking for a rod below $100... I am planning of buying one for my niece so she can have her own. She always borrows my precious fly gear and bangs them up pretty badly.

Thanks...
Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Orvis Streamline 865-4, Mid Flex Fly Rod

I've never cast that rod, but I'm sure it will be fine for your niece if she's just starting out- not that you said she was. I'm assuming she is from your description of how she's using your equipment. If you want a budget rod with mid flex action you might want to look into Albright Tackle right now- they are having a great sale, especially on the gp rods, but the warranty is something to look into since the gp rods are being discontinued. We're talking something like $45 dollars here. I picked up 2. Don't buy their Top Water reel though- that's the worst reel I've ever seen.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Thank you Jose, I will check that Albright rod that you recommended.

Yes, she is just starting it out with fly fishing. She always whips the rod very hard and jolts back the fly rod when she feels a bite. That is a very good way to break any rod tips. I have been telling her how to do the proper way but everytime she catches one... she just gets so excited and will drop anything from her hands specially my prized fly rod.

I also remembered one time she tears out a small fish from the water and reeling it to close to the tip of the rod.

She is already 19 years old... oh well, maybe one day she will learn and become a good fly fisher.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Sounds like an Albright rod might just be the way to go for her- let me know what you think of it if you go that way.

Take good care and tight lines!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

First off I got to say, don't make a new comer cast something you wouldn't. That could turn them off totally.
I am not familiar with the Albright at all, so I will answer about the Streamline.
That particular rod is awesome. easy to cast and a joy. I would not hesitate to let a newbie or even someone more experienced fish with it, it is nice.
One word of warning however....there is NO warranty on them, if that matters.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 AM

GreenMtn is on a distinguished road

Not really any experience with the Streamline but the Clearwater I and II are both nice. The Clearwater II is particularly nice and I would expect the same kind of action from the Streamline series. Having had both a Tip Flex Clearwater I 905-4 and a Mid-Flex Clearwater II 864-4 I'd recommend the 864-4 which is only offered in a 2 piece for the Streamline series. If she's a bit heavy handed, try underloading it with some 3wt line. BTW, the Clearwater reel that you can get with the Streamline rod as a package (including line) is a nice light reel and super cheap.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

While they are both a nice rod, The Streamline is made in Asia (mass produced) while the Clearwater is still USA (as far as I know). They are not the same, but back to my first line.

Clearwater = warranty, Streamline = no warranty