The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Laurel Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Medium Action Fly Rods

I am looking into a 4 or 5 wt fly rod with moderate/medium action for fishing mainly dries at short to intermediate distance (40-50 feet or less) and perhaps some light nymphing. My budget allows for a rod around $200-$250. So far, I am considering a St Croix Avid and an Orvis Clearwater II (mid-flex). What other rods in this category would anyone recommend?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Medium Action Fly Rods

Cabela's Traditional II, and TFO Finesse.
Randy
Old 10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Laurel Fork,

You might want to consider the Scott A2. It is $265. A medium fast rod that would work for you. For what you are describing you may find the St Croix Avid all you need.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Laurel Fork,

Either rod you're considering would work fine. The Avid would be a bit faster than the Clearwater in a mid-flex action and the Clearwater would be a fraction of an ounce lighter, but not enough to matter much. I have both the rods you mention and find the Clearwater II to be smoother casting.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would call the Avid more of a med-fast action and the TFO finesse about the only one listed that's a medium action. In that range, you might be able to find a Diamondglass that would be a VERY easy-paced action.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

along the lines of the diamondglass, you might consider the lamiglas spring creek fiberglass rod. this is not the same as the "honey colored" fiberglass blanks many like to build upon. it's described as faster than the "honey" but certainly more medium than most graphites. i have no experience with it though... cost? $240.

http://lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?id=51

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Fork View Post
I am looking into a 4 or 5 wt fly rod with moderate/medium action for fishing mainly dries at short to intermediate distance (40-50 feet or less) and perhaps some light nymphing. My budget allows for a rod around $200-$250. So far, I am considering a St Croix Avid and an Orvis Clearwater II (mid-flex). What other rods in this category would anyone recommend?
Orvis "Frequent Flyer" "mid-flex". Retail is $195 but you can currently find them on sale for $165-175. It is a 7-piece rod, but it is a wonderful casting fly rod, unbeatable for the price, and, as an added bonus, the rod tube will easily fit in a briefcase.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I am with Frank the Scott A2 would be a very good choice.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

The A2 is a medium-fast action, and on sale at many dealers in anticipaton of the release of the A3 for 2009. I picked one up for $199 through an internet dealer.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ditto's on the A2..

Look for a used G on EBAY pay a little more but you might fall in love with it.

I am partial to the G2 but you will spend more as well.