The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Default Old Scott G Action

Hi-

I have an opportunity to purchase an old Scott G fly rod and was wondering what the action is like on this model? I won't have the chance to cast it before purchase so any info. would be appreciated. Specifically, is it a progressive action rod? Does it have a good "feel"?

Thanks for any help!

~Seth
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Old Scott G Action

I don't know what you mean by "progressive" action, but it is definately a medium action. I casted one that my instructor had and it felt awesome. It made my St. Croix Imperial feel like a telephone pole.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I don't know what you mean by "progressive" action, but it is definately a medium action. I casted one that my instructor had and it felt awesome. It made my St. Croix Imperial feel like a telephone pole.
Thanks! I think by progressive I mean slow to medium action...I'm not so much interested in distance casting but more so in the feel of a fish on the rod...

~Seth
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For a technical trout rod it is one of the best out there. I actually like the G2's a bit better cuz they're slightly faster and a bit lighter, but I wouldn't pass up a great deal on an old one.

Keep in mind that it will look a bit weird. Its an unfinished graphite blank with sorta homemade looking graphics on it. If you like a more rustic/retro look, you'll dig it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I have both G and G2 (I am testing 5 Scotts this winter season) Casting both is a dream. The G is exactly what you are looking for. It wasn't the rod for me.

I nymph more than top water and found I snag hooked 2/3rds the fish with my G.

For small light little top water presentations you will love the G. My style and hook setting has me taking pic's and planning on listing my G back on EBAY this spring.

Good luck..

Critter..

PS... I have become a total fan of Scott and what they do. I am either keeping my G2 or SCS currently. I have a few others that might win out.