The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road
Default 5 peice rods ?

I am looking at a 8'3", 4 wt, 5 pc rod, and have never owned anything but a 2 pc. Do all those ferrules make a noticeable difference in anyway? Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Re: 5 peice rods ?

Hi, I own Orivis Frequent Flyer FLy Rod in #3 wt and #6wt and both have 7 piece. It doesn't feel any different from my other 4pc and 2 pc rods. Albright have 5 pc... New rod materials are excellent.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I think that the new materials make a world of difference compared to older rods, and I think that the higher quality the rod, the less difference, even in budget rods. For example, with my Albright A-5, I was surprised at the little difference I felt between that and another nice 2 piece I have, but when I tested the Albright GP rods, I could feel a difference between the 2 piece and the 4 piece GP when testing side by side. In the end though, that difference wouldn't really matter, because you would adapt to the rod right away. I prefer more sections for traveling with the rod- that makes the greatest difference for me. By the way, I've casted a friend's g-loomis and another friend's thomas and thomas, both greater than 2 piece rods- no issues there.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

You will find a much better selection of 4pc rods vs 5 pc rods. I have used both 4 and 2pc rods and the only difference is the 4pc rods are much easier to transport. I see no difference in performance.
JimW
Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I have a 5 piece Albright that casts quite well and has good feel to it.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM

docbluedevil is on a distinguished road

I've been a long time fan of Winston's IM6 8.6 ft 3 pc 5 wt. I bought a Winston LT 8.9 ft 5 pc 5 wt a few years ago as well and feel that it casts just as smoothly and as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

My favorite rod is a Sage SP589-5/6, which is a 5-piece (with a 6th piece being an extra tip) 8'9" five-weight. I see absolutely no difference in its casting from the 2 and 4-piece Sage rods I have, other than the fact, of course, that it is a medium-flex compared to those other rods which are mainly XP's and Z-Axis and of course stiffer. An added plus is that this 5-piece is even easier to carry than even my 4-piece XP.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

There has been talk on several rod building boards about ODD number of sections being better (ex: 3 - 5 - 7). Something to do with guide placement and "HARMONICS" of the rod.
But I agree that today, number of pieces shouldn't effect a blank. I have the Orvis 7' 4 weight one once that is a two piece, and the 7' 4 pc. TROUT BUM and with eyes closed they feel the same except the overall weight difference.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM

Montana Mark is on a distinguished road

Interestingly a friend who's a physicist (Univ of Utah for you UT based folks) and my rod building mentor says there probably is something to the odd number of sections discussion, but it also has a great deal to do with the guide spacing in relation to the ferrules.

His bottom line is that it is another piece of minutiae for us all to talk about, and makes no notable performance difference in the hands of a skilled caster.

I just built up a Sage Z-Axis 8wt 9'6" rod - 4 piece - and it's been a dream chucking big streamers on home waters up here.