The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Fly Rods

Funny you said that. A good friend on the Fiber Glass board BUILT a 9' 7/8 weight Hardy glass, but he put a fighting butt on it. Beautiful stick. We we hooked up on the Provo, and he handed me the rod and told me to use it for a year.......I did.......ON CARP! and I was doing the "D" cast with the butt in the belly....SWEET!

Click the image to open in full size.

WIPERS! Next goal!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting......
With the Bay less than 5 miles away, this could be a lot of fun. Wouldn't even need the boat all the time either.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just noticed some info on TFO's switch rods. The 5wt version looks to be the best match for a 350 grain line. (reco'd range- 250-450 gr)

Folks, I use a 350 grain Teeny line on my Scott HP 889. That's a STOUT 9wt, and that line puts a deep bend in it when cast properly like a shooting head. Totally different range of line weights here. Getting a 350 grain line to land on the water as delicately as you would want a 5wt to land will be quite a feat as well.

Gonna take a MIGHTY large reel (relative to a normal 5wt) to fit a 350 grain floating line too.

They're valuable tools for the right application, but I just wanted to point that out.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM

bubba is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Switch Fly Rods

Hello, I'am new to the forum. I had a question i thought y'all might help me with. I just got a 11' 6wt z-axis switch, and need to know if a 455gr spey windcutter II is too much line and if the Rio gold wf8wt line is too little. I actually have both these lines lying around and would like to use them before buying new line, if i don't have to.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Hello, I'am new to the forum. I had a question i thought y'all might help me with. I just got a 11' 6wt z-axis switch, and need to know if a 455gr spey windcutter II is too much line and if the Rio gold wf8wt line is too little. I actually have both these lines lying around and would like to use them before buying new line, if i don't have to.
It is interesting how this thread has progressed. When it started, switch rods were just starting to pick up steam in the market. I got my Sage Z-Axis 6110-4 when it just released. Since then, I have had chance to play around with lines.

The line of choice will depend on how which style of casting will be used.

Line Recommendations
Skagit - Rio Skagit Short 325 grain or 375 grain. If I plan on dredging with 10 feet of T-14 and a big bunny fly, I would use the 375 grain.
Scandinavian (Scandi) - Rio AFS 4/5 (295 grains) or 5/6 (340 grains). The 4/5 will make the rod cast more off the tip, and the 5/6 will make the rod cast more off the midsection.
Nymphing - Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead WF9F, Sage Nymph 260 grain.
Overhead Casting - Rio Outbound or Outbound Short WF8

The lines that I use for my Z-Axis 6110-4 switch rod are Rio Skagit Short 325 grain (with 84 grain 15 foot Spey Versitips) for Spey casting and the Sage Indicator Taper 260 grain (now called Nymph Taper) for nymphing. Since I don't dredge with a T-14 tip and heavy bunny flies, I do not need the heavier line. I have a full length Spey rod for that.

For Spey casting, I would use only Skagit or Scandi style lines. The heads of other styles of lines are way too long to manage. I tried to use a Windcutter 5/6 on my rod, and I could not make it work. I liked the AFS shooting head with sparse classical style flies. The Skagit Short seemed to work better with bulkier flies.

So figure out the casting style that you want to do. Research Scandinavian style and Skagit style Spey casting. I am sure that you can find plenty of articles on the topic over the web.

MP
Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

MP, Joni, Frank, and the rest of these great folks have covered, how, and where, to use a switch.
I've said before, (somewhere) the bleed-back of the casts/mends to my nine footer has made fishing more of a joy. (As if I needed that.)
Positioning the fly line on the water is a really big part of this game. It is talked about very little, but occured to me as soon as I picked up my switch, (Sage 6110).
Now, with a water load , a roll cast, and half of a snap T, I own the river (so to speak).
No tangles, wind proof, and range. The fact that I'm getting drifts over fish that others can't get to, doesn't hurt either.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM

bpfohler is on a distinguished road

I have a TFO switch as well as may single handed rods. I mostly fish sttelhead on the SR Lower Fly Zone and IMO it's too much rod for flip casting.

On the other hand, when I'm fishing early run salmon in the spring at home on a larger river it's the perfect rod to swing flies and toss streamers.

It's a great option to have you just have to pick your spots.

Last edited by bpfohler; 04-27-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I had a Rainshadow 7wt switch made for this steelie season and have to say with the proper line its definetly a tool to have in your fishing arsenal. Switch rods are very easy to roll and spey cast, and spey casting aint all that hard to learn, going to a spey cast demo helps to learn alot. The length of the rods helps alot with line control but also being short enough to use on smaller water. I took my one handed 8wt stick out the other day and what a difference, had to get used to it again...lol. With being able to cast long and short with little effort makes a switch rod very effective in all kind of fishing situations,IMO. Hope this helps you out, if you can try out a switch do it cause you will realy like it.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

fysh - I just picked up a TFO Deer Creek 12-6 4/5, marketed as a spey, not a switch since all TFO switches are 11-0, and I plan to try it on wipers this year. I don't yet have my line shipment from SA, but I put my 250g Streamer Express that I throw on my 8 when the wipers run in spring, tossed it around the yard for a few minutes and I think it will work if that opportunity presents itself this year. How it will do with the big flies I like for that situation I don't yet know.

I will also try a few floating lines on it for the summer topwater boiling action. I'm guessing the 8 might work, but I ordered a skagit multi-tip from SA, and I'll also try the floating head for those fish.

What I haven't figured out is how to land a 6 pound wiper with a 12-6 rod by myself, either in the river or on the boat. But I look forward to trying!

Craig
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Craig, a longer rod requires a longer net. The heavy gear retractor j-u-s-t handles my cut down boat net. Then, all you need is a lucky scoop.
I have noticed my "close up" game diminished, with the comensurate increase in range when fishing these longer rods....

Jim

Bigfly