The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Switch Fly Rods

This is a highly interesting article.

I've often wanted to learn two-handed casting, but was a little dubious.

Now, I'm considering selling a few pieces and getting a Switch in about a 7wt.

Questions:

I already have a 7wt (actually 2, but the other was handed down, so I don't really consider it) that is going to be set up with a Cortland 333 Rocket Taper. Would it be wiser to have the Switch set up with a sink tip line?

The 7wt I have has a fighting butt, although it's only 9ft. long. Would it be a waste to get a switch?

I've read that one should look at a larger reel, so I should step up to something like a 9-10wt reel?

I don't live (or plan to go anywhere) where there are salmon runs and such. I'm only interested in this to fish larger rivers and cover more area. Mostly chasing smallies.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
This is a highly interesting article.

I've often wanted to learn two-handed casting, but was a little dubious.

Now, I'm considering selling a few pieces and getting a Switch in about a 7wt.
Good for you. You may find a switch rod to be a valuable tool in your rod collection.

Quote:
I already have a 7wt (actually 2, but the other was handed down, so I don't really consider it) that is going to be set up with a Cortland 333 Rocket Taper. Would it be wiser to have the Switch set up with a sink tip line?
You will have to buy a new line that you will allow you to use different tips.

Quote:
The 7wt I have has a fighting butt, although it's only 9ft. long. Would it be a waste to get a switch?
No.

Quote:
I've read that one should look at a larger reel, so I should step up to something like a 9-10wt reel?
Yes, you would.

Quote:
I don't live (or plan to go anywhere) where there are salmon runs and such. I'm only interested in this to fish larger rivers and cover more area. Mostly chasing smallies.
You can get away with a 6 weight switch rod. Paired with the right line (like a Rio Skagit Short), you can cast some rather large flies.

If you really want to fish larger rivers and learn the nuances of Spey casting faster, a true Spey rod would be the tool to have. Having the longer rod allows you to make longer casts. It also makes for a longer lever which makes learning easier.

MP
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx, Mosca.

As far as lines go, what should I be looking at? I'm on a thin budget. Something like the Versatip?

I'm not really understanding what a skagit line is and how is different.

I figured I'd wade into two handed casting by starting small. I don't get alot of fishing time as it is. If I like the switch, I may sell a few more things and get a full on Spey rod, but the need is not there yet.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanx, Mosca.
You are welcome.

Quote:
As far as lines go, what should I be looking at? I'm on a thin budget. Something like the Versatip?
Yes

Quote:
I'm not really understanding what a skagit line is and how is different.
Read this. Simon Gawesworth of Rio Fly Lines wrote it. He is the foremost authority on Spey lines.

Quote:
I figured I'd wade into two handed casting by starting small. I don't get alot of fishing time as it is. If I like the switch, I may sell a few more things and get a full on Spey rod, but the need is not there yet.
Cool beans, dude.

MP
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Great article, Mosca. Thanx.

I breezed it and will read it more indepth tonight. The rods I'm looking at do not have a grain rating to them as of yet (new for 2010).

Based on what he said, anything around 470 grains would be the ticket for a Short Belly (something like the Outbound).

My wife is gonna kill me....as if she needs yet another reason.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Great article, Mosca. Thanx.

I breezed it and will read it more indepth tonight. The rods I'm looking at do not have a grain rating to them as of yet (new for 2010).

Based on what he said, anything around 470 grains would be the ticket for a Short Belly (something like the Outbound).

My wife is gonna kill me....as if she needs yet another reason.
In my opinion, the easiest lines to throw are the Skagit styles. Basically take the mass of a 50+ foot head and consolidate it into something from 20 to 30 feet. There will be less line to manage, but you get the same mass.

Most 6 weight switches work best in 325 to 375 grain weights. I use a 325 grain Skagit Short on my 6 weight Z-Axis switch. It casts everything well except for the heaviest lead eyed or tungsten coned flies. I fished my rod with a 375 grain line, and that helped quite a bit. I still use a 325 Skagit Short because I don't fish the heaviest of the heavy flies.

Most 7 weight switches work best in 375 to 425 grain weights.

I would choose the higher grain weights if you plan on dredging deep with heavy flies.

MP
Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Mosca,

You're a wealth of information and I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't have many around me that fly fish, with the exception of Drumstix.

I read most of the white paper you linked me to. Based on what it said, if I wanted to spey cast with a switch, he recommends (because he works there) the Skagit Short at about 425gr.

If I wanted to do more overhead (normal) casting, I should drop to a 375gr WF9F Outbound (at least for some of the St. Croix's I've seen listed elsewhere). The Imperial Switch is so new that it hasn't made it onto any lists for Rio for line recommendations.

So, would this mean that I would need an extra spool, if I so desired?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Mosca,

You're a wealth of information and I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't have many around me that fly fish, with the exception of Drumstix.
No problem, dude.

Quote:
I read most of the white paper you linked me to. Based on what it said, if I wanted to spey cast with a switch, he recommends (because he works there) the Skagit Short at about 425gr.
Sounds about right for a 7 weight switch.

There are two brands that compete head to head in the Spey line market. Those two are Rio and Airflo. If you wanted an Airflo line, you would use its Skagit Compact roughly in a similar grain weight.

Quote:
If I wanted to do more overhead (normal) casting, I should drop to a 375gr WF9F Outbound (at least for some of the St. Croix's I've seen listed elsewhere). The Imperial Switch is so new that it hasn't made it onto any lists for Rio for line recommendations.

So, would this mean that I would need an extra spool, if I so desired?
Yep. You'd need an extra spool for that.

MP