The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Dr. Blue Dun is on a distinguished road
Switch Fly Rods

I have been hearing about this type of rod from friends and none possessing same can tell me much about them beyond the name. Anyone willing to share a few words with me and the other millions tuned in about the What, Where, When How of "Switch Rods." Greatly appreciate the info---- "Doc"
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Switch Fly Rods

H Dr. Blue Dun,

A very good question. I think that most of us are not very knowledgeable about Spey Rods. We have a good number of Spey casters in the North West that fish for Steelhead and Salmon. Although there is not a lot of Salmon fishing due to restrictions.

A Switch Rod has a double grip like a normal Spey rod. They are not as long as a Spey Rod and can be casted with one hand, or used with a Spey cast, or with a double handed over head cast. They are great to make a long roll cast. They start at about 10'6" and maybe a little longer but not much.

I had a double grip rod made in Alaska thinking it would be great for Salmon and I could cast with one hand. I found that with a one hand cast the bottom grip got in the way or was awkward. I had the rear grip cut back into a fighting butt. My rod was 9'6". This was back in the late seventies and I didn't know I had a Switch rod made. If I had known about two handed cast I may have liked it.

Frank

Beulah Switch Rod
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Here's a tip...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC!!!

Tried to message you but I guess you didn't want that option.
Sorry I had to use your thread.

Stay young,
Darin
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Dr. Blue Dun is on a distinguished road
Question Switch Rod ???

I have heard this term used by some guys on the Salmon River---but when asked, their descriptions started an argument. So working here in my fly-tying den my thoughts turned to that, whilst tooling out some S & S flies. So what is a "SWITCH ROD?"
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Switch Rod ???

Suggest you try this site for starters: best of luck

R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - S2H106 Series Fly Rods
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like great rods. I would like to learn Spey/2-hand casting, it looks like alot of fun.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM

texasflycaster is on a distinguished road

Best I can tell - great for nymphing, big rods great for two hand casting in surf. I threw one at TFO the other day, and they have a real learning curve if you don't have a lot of experience (like myself). shannon
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road

Doc,

I really don't have a lot of info on switch rods, but I did cast one for the first time, yesterday. I recently started spey casting, with a two-handed rod so I am by no means experienced. Anyways here is what I noticed as some big differences.

As Frank said, switch rods are shorter than spey rods. Also, a one-handed cast is much easier on a switch rod than on a spey rod. The switch rod was lighter (which I guess is probably obvious given the much shorter lengths). I felt that the switch rod was not as proficient at performing spey casts as a spey rod, because you could not spread your grip as far on the switch rod as you can with a spey rod.

Overall, if you were looking for a rod that was the best of both worlds, I think a switch would be the ticket. I prefer to use rods that master their particular intended use, rather than using rods that are more along the lines of "jack of all trades, master of none."

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I endorse what Ben has said. I have a Sage Z-Axis 7110-4/5 "switch" rod which I bought for "big water" windy situations in the upper Rockies, with the possibility of Northwest steelhead/salmon fly-fishing. The lightness of the Z-Axis rod seems to me to add to its versatility for being a one-handed rod in addition to being a two-handed rod.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Switch Rod ???

Loomis has a "SWITCH" rod in their line. Check their site for their description.