The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage Z-Axis vs Winston Boron IIx

I still recommend checking on the Winston forum re: customer service and quality issues. There are people on that forum from Australia and several other countries, so they can share any experiences they might have had overseas with Winston customer service in the US. Although Winston sponsors the site, the forum members are pretty honest with their opinions. If they are unhappy, they will say so.

Winston Rods :: Index
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
I still recommend checking on the Winston forum re: customer service and quality issues. There are people on that forum from Australia and several other countries, so they can share any experiences they might have had overseas with Winston customer service in the US. Although Winston sponsors the site, the forum members are pretty honest with their opinions. If they are unhappy, they will say so.

Winston Rods :: Index
I don't know about that. I do go to the Winston forum, but I don't find it that informative.
They all seem to be in a click, and love patting each other on the back. I have yet to read anything with PROOF behind it.
No offense, just my feelings. This site you can get hands on answers and good ones.

Is all rod manufacturers a bit of a hassle in Poland, or is it just Winston?
I do find there warranty work a little stricter than others but that is a good thing.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Are you fishing for grayling and trout or both? Fast mountain streams? Dry fly and nymphing with streamers thrown in once in a while if you fish stillwater? Sage's Z will be around for another year until they replace it with another model. You'll then be able to pick it up for about half the price it is now. It's a good rod, I liked it but my opinion is, it's not as smooth and natural casting (if there is such a term) as a BIIX. The Z is a nice rod but not my style.
The BIIX will be around for quite a while. I agree with others it's lighter in hand and casting, and most of your casts will be in the 60 foot and under range (not saying the Winston won't cast farther than that) am I correct?
I say get the Winston, keep saving and when the Sage goes on sale, buy it then.
FWIW the Vapor is made in Asia (or was) and the BIIX in Montana. It (Vapor) was a cheap rod that was made so a Winston could get in the hands of just about everyone at any kind of budget. Winston has some expensive rods and they're proud of them- just look at the $3000 bamboo they sell by first year builders..........
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
They all seem to be in a click, and love patting each other on the back. I have yet to read anything with PROOF behind it.
No offense, just my feelings. This site you can get hands on answers and good ones.
No offense taken - you are right. Usually after the first few posts in a thread, they get into the back-slapping. I've usually found what I needed and stopped reading the thread by then.

Sorry domel, back to your original topic.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

i wouldgo with the winston....much smoother
Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Are you fishing for grayling and trout or both? Fast mountain streams? Dry fly and nymphing with streamers thrown in once in a while if you fish stillwater? Sage's Z will be around for another year until they replace it with another model. You'll then be able to pick it up for about half the price it is now. It's a good rod, I liked it but my opinion is, it's not as smooth and natural casting (if there is such a term) as a BIIX. The Z is a nice rod but not my style.
The BIIX will be around for quite a while. I agree with others it's lighter in hand and casting, and most of your casts will be in the 60 foot and under range (not saying the Winston won't cast farther than that) am I correct?
I say get the Winston, keep saving and when the Sage goes on sale, buy it then.
FWIW the Vapor is made in Asia (or was) and the BIIX in Montana. It (Vapor) was a cheap rod that was made so a Winston could get in the hands of just about everyone at any kind of budget. Winston has some expensive rods and they're proud of them- just look at the $3000 bamboo they sell by first year builders..........
I need universal rod, one that I could take both for trout, grayling and for chub and other white fish. I want to buy rod that I will take for trips when I can take only one rod. And I want to fish mainly for nymph, but in particular conditions I will fish dry flies or small streamer. Having only oner rod I think I will use it both with floating lines and with sinking ones (I'm going to take reel with 2 or 3 spare spools with different lines). I know that there are no universal rods, but very often I go fishing with only 1 rod and). For example I take rod for dry flies and coming to water I find that there are no fish feeding from surface but there are a lot of fish far from me near river bottom :-). I almost decided to buy Z-Axis but a lot of fellows say that BIIx is better.
It's a pity that I have no fellows who have these rods that I could try them fishing.
BR
tom
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

go to any fly shop, and they will probably let you test cast them side by side. I dont think anyone should buy a high end rod without test casting it first.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I just listed my Winston B IIX. I think the price is fair enough to re-list if you don't like it.

Personally, after trying the Z and BIIX. I would say the BIIX is not the universal rod you look for. It is a fantastic dry rod (at 4wt the one I tried) but two weighted nymphs with indicator make it a bit loose. It is still castable but pickups are not as fast. (my opinion). The Z is fast and works for both.

My however is, I tried these two and a Scott G2. I am now leaning to the G2 as my Goto rod.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

This is a non-answer, but it is my solution to your problem. Thanks in part to the sad demise of a local fly shop, I bought a Sage ZXL 590-4 and a Sage Z-axis 690-4 on sale. One's perfect for smaller water and delicate dry fly presentations. The other's a canon, a nymph and streamer rod, and good for some smallmouth situations. I put them both in a double rod-and-reel case and pull out the one that's best suited to the situation. Also, they act as each other's backup rod.

Yes, I'm a Sage fan. Going back to the SP 590, which my wife fishes now and loves, I like their medium to medium-fast rods. (I think the Z casts very much like a medium-fast rod...but more power.) I've tested their lifetime warranty, and it's for real. And they're beautiful.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
I just listed my Winston B IIX. I think the price is fair enough to re-list if you don't like it.

Personally, after trying the Z and BIIX. I would say the BIIX is not the universal rod you look for. It is a fantastic dry rod (at 4wt the one I tried) but two weighted nymphs with indicator make it a bit loose. It is still castable but pickups are not as fast. (my opinion). The Z is fast and works for both.

My however is, I tried these two and a Scott G2. I am now leaning to the G2 as my Goto rod.
I cast the G2 and the Z Axis side by side the other day and like the Z much more. For me, I could shoot line a mile (by my standards) with both of them, but I could really feel the Z load better at short distances, increasing my accuracy (especially at short to medium distances). Also the Z felt lighter in the hand to me. They are both great rods and I would love to own either, I just wanted to pitch in my observations!