The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Z-Axis vs Winston Boron IIx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
go to any fly shop, and they will probably let you test cast them side by side. I dont think anyone should buy a high end rod without test casting it first.
I did that last spring and ended up with the Sage 6 wt. but bought an Echo also as a backup rod.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

See there you go. Some like Winston, some like Sage. Makes it tough, but if you can cast each one, you'll make up your own mind. One thing I like is the BIIX 6w is lighter than most 4w's and it casts like a 5w.
You've narrowed it down to two great rods. Only you can make the final decision.
Now if you really want to make it hard, you might want to look at Scott's S4 for fast or a G2 for a medium rod.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I cast the G2 and the Z Axis side by side the other day and like the Z much more. For me, I could shoot line a mile (by my standards) with both of them, but I could really feel the Z load better at short distances, increasing my accuracy (especially at short to medium distances). Also the Z felt lighter in the hand to me. They are both great rods and I would love to own either, I just wanted to pitch in my observations!
Ohhh....sorry, it was an S4, not a G2 that I cast and compared to the Z. My bad.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I've never cast the Z-Axis but I hear very nice things about it. Mostly I hear it is a fast rod. I used to like fast rods and I still need them on windy days like fishing the salt. For fresh I'd prefer medium-medium fast rods. The BIIX is more of a medium/fast but more towards the medium side. It is a beautiful rod to cast when the wind is 10knots or lower. The Vapor to me is a fast rod and I keep it for windy days. I used it for 3 hours on a float trip in Montana this year but found myself worrying about breaking off nice fish more so than my softer/medium action Albright A5. Some fish would take me 30 min. and more to bring to net on that Vapor 5 wt(5x tippet) and it was exhausting. I switched to my 4wt Albright at noon and was able to relax with that medium action even with big fish. I bought my BIIX 8wt because of my rotator cuff. I decided I couldn't cast a heavier/faster stick all day(TFO TiCrX). I compared it to a Scott S2s and a Sage Xi. They both cast well and when I picked up the BIIX I didn't think I could cast it due to it's slower action but it sent the line 90-100 ft. You won't need that for trout but I'm convinced my next 5 wt( after my new Albright A5) will either be another BIIX, ZXL or a Helios. If I love my new 5 wt A5 as much as my 4 wt A5, I might forget that thought altogether! What's interesting is that I love my 4wt A5 as much as I love fishing my Sage SLT 3 wt. It's a whole new world of flyfishing with so many really viable options... In the end it is how a rod casts, how it handles the fish, how you feel using it, how it protects your tippet and how it gets the fly to the fish that counts and not the label that matters. My only regret about Albright is that it's made overseas...
Longing for Freestone Water,
Racine
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I don't know about that. I do go to the Winston forum, but I don't find it that informative.
They all seem to be in a click, and love patting each other on the back. I have yet to read anything with PROOF behind it.
No offense, just my feelings. This site you can get hands on answers and good ones.

Is all rod manufacturers a bit of a hassle in Poland, or is it just Winston?
I do find there warranty work a little stricter than others but that is a good thing.
I'm sorry that I answer so late.
I don't know if such cases had p[lace with another rod producers here in Poland but what I know is that me and 2 my colleagues from Internet forums had troubles and not only with cheap Winston rods but with more expensive ones too. I know that they had to wait for replace or reparation for a very long time.
BR
tom
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... My wife and I are headed to Chilean Patagonia this Spring for some Rainbow / Brown trout action in the high mountain streams that feed the big lakes in that region. We'll take 4 rods; my Sage Z-Axis 9'0" 5 wt., her Winston BIIx 8'6" 5 wt., and two new Winston BIIx's; a 9'0' 6 wt. and a 9'0" 7 wt. I like those rods. They just feel right; for casting and for fishing.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I was in Denver in December and did cast both the Z Axis and the BIIX in both 5 wt 8'6" lengths with a WF line. I found the Sage a fast, accurate, sensitive and capable of the long drive. I thought the BIIX more of a med/fast, sensitive, accurate rod. Overall I still preferred the BIIX for versatility. I think casting technique can overcome distance issues as most of my 5 wt casting is usually 60 ft on in with the occasional 80 ft bomb. Barring a depression, my next 'nice' rod will be the BIIX 5wt in an 8'6"/ 4 pc package.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

Sounds like a great trip. I hope we get some pictures and a detailed report. It would be interesting to know about the travel and places to stay.

Frank
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

I agree with most written about the BIIx (more moderate action great for shorter to medium casts) vs. the Z-Axis (faster action that performs well on longer casts). To further confuse the issue, I would put the Loomis Streamdance HLS right between the two rods in action. You may want to consider it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
I was in Denver in December and did cast both the Z Axis and the BIIX in both 5 wt 8'6" lengths with a WF line. I found the Sage a fast, accurate, sensitive and capable of the long drive. I thought the BIIX more of a med/fast, sensitive, accurate rod. Overall I still preferred the BIIX for versatility. I think casting technique can overcome distance issues as most of my 5 wt casting is usually 60 ft on in with the occasional 80 ft bomb. Barring a depression, my next 'nice' rod will be the BIIX 5wt in an 8'6"/ 4 pc package.
I can't speak from experience, but there are allot of guys, WINSTON GUYS, that didn't care for the BIIx in a 5. They love the 4 and the 6, but not crazy about the 5 for some reason.
I have the 6 and an 8 and love both of them....just something to think about, but you said you cast it, and liked it, so probably more in the eyes of the beholder.

afishinado, while I worked for a store in Heber, I was CRAZY in love with the Streamdance...very nice rod, but I class it more as the Z then the BIIx. It is a nice fast crisp rod for sure! PLUS PURDY!!!!!