The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sage Z-Axis vs Winston Boron IIx

They might weigh several rods & use the lightest one as a weight reference.
I am trying to find out if the latest GLX blank is the same as the original,
with the exception of the color. Have always preferred the matte grey but must say that the matte moss is very nice.
Was told that the Orvis ZG & H blanks are identical, just use different hardware.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Zero was the start of the technology, but I don't think it is the same blank...just an intro to the new material.
Check this out:

Building upon our Zero Gravity’s exclusive thermoplastic resin technology, which is stronger and lighter than the epoxy resins used to make traditional fly rods, the designers found an exciting new scrim in the space satellite industry. This unidirectional graphite scrim with a thermoplastic binder gives us the same strength in our rods, but uses much less material. We reduced the weight on our new Helios blanks by 25% less than our already lightweight Zero Gravity blanks. Then the rod team designed, from scratch, new reel seats that would keep the 25% weight reduction throughout the entire rod.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Was told that the Orvis ZG & H blanks are identical, just use different hardware.
The tapers may be the same but the Helios seem to be made of a new, secret sauce!
One thing is for sure, the H ain't your Grandpa's ZG!

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=3432

Building upon our Zero Gravity’s exclusive thermoplastic resin technology, which is stronger and lighter than the epoxy resins used to make traditional fly rods, the designers found an exciting new scrim in the space satellite industry. This unidirectional graphite scrim with a thermoplastic binder gives us the same strength in our rods, but uses much less material. We reduced the weight on our new Helios blanks by 25% less than our already lightweight Zero Gravity blanks. Then the rod team designed, from scratch, new reel seats that would keep the 25% weight reduction throughout the entire rod.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We read the same sites Jackster...LOL But I also read about it before the Helio's came out in a magazine review.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Will take your word for it. Everyone seems to be cooking up a new brew every year.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Let me clear up one issue in my mind....is this a trout rod?

If this is mostly a trout tod, then i think you will like the winston over the Sage or Orvis. The reason i say this is because the winston has better feel for one. But the biggest factor is casting range. Neither the sage z-zxis or orvis 2009 helios will do well within about 30 feet, and id say 50% of trout cast are under 30 feet.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
Let me clear up one issue in my mind....is this a trout rod?

If this is mostly a trout tod, then i think you will like the winston over the Sage or Orvis. The reason i say this is because the winston has better feel for one. But the biggest factor is casting range. Neither the sage z-zxis or orvis 2009 helios will do well within about 30 feet, and id say 50% of trout cast are under 30 feet.
Is your reasoning from experience, or reading fly fishing magazine articles?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I work at a fly shop, this is from my experience. Im not very brand oriented, but thats just from my knowledge.

I will say this, the 2009 helios is VERY light. For some reason it just didn't have the trout like feel, like i feel the winston does
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Like I said, I have both and they both rock as far as trout, but I do like the mid flex Orvis over the tip flex. The Sage a little too crisp so that one I agree.
As far as casting 30'...that is up to me the caster and I can do that with either with ease.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM

I agree with that, and no two people will always like the same rod. If this is at all possible, you should test cast them.

If not, its going to be tougher for you to decide, but with a winston or an orvis, i think youll be pleased.