The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM

hawkeye79 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St. Croix Imperial Fly Rods

I was just at the St Croix factory outlet 6 days ago, talk to the sales person, and had a short time to handle one and compare to the Legend Ultra. (I got there right before closing. so only had limited time) I was told a factory is being built for this rod in Mexico but presently this rod is being built state side. I was also told the Avid line is designed as a slower rod, even though more expensive. The Imperial's acton is more like their higher end lines, and seemed as fast or faster than the Ultra, for the few minutes I had to handle it. The sales person was expecting the Imperial was going to steal sales from the higher two lines. Earlier that weekend, I had a conversation with the fly shop owner in Hayward, who thought, especially for the price, the Imperial was better than Sage's new Flight series. If interested, now seems to be the time while the manufacturing is still state side.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

When I casted it I thought the action on it was slower than that of the Ultra or Legend Elite. I own both a Legend Elite and an Ultra now. Imperial feels much different in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

The new Imperial is nice rod -- especially for the price -- only had a brief chance to cast at a recent fishing show -- but seems like a much better rod than Sage Flight -- and I thought its action was closer to Ultra or Legend than Avid -- maybe more of a medium fast action rod than fast -- certainly good range of models -- good bang for the buck
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 PM

hawkeye79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
The new Imperial is nice rod -- especially for the price -- only had a brief chance to cast at a recent fishing show -- but seems like a much better rod than Sage Flight -- and I thought its action was closer to Ultra or Legend than Avid -- maybe more of a medium fast action rod than fast -- certainly good range of models -- good bang for the buck

The salesman at St Croix factory said the Avid is a slower action rod. One fly fishing catalog has the action of the Sage Flight as similar to the Sage Z Axis. Can you compare those two rods?