The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default TFO and Sage Rod Actions

I have a TFO Pro Series 4 wt and a Sage FLi 6wt both in 9'. What is the rod action of each of these considered? Is the TFO considered a medium action and the Sage a medium/fast to fast action? I am just trying to figure out what kind of action goes with me casting style the best. I just can't seem to cast the 4 wt as well as the 6 wt. The 4wt casts better if I use only dry or unweighted flies. If I put the least bit of weight on it I can't seem to cast it worth a darn. I am thinking I need to reserve this rod for small stream type work. What rods in the TFO lineup would be considered comparable to the Sage FLi in terms of action?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: TFO and Sage Rod Actions

For what its worth(my thoughts) I have never casted a TFO I do hear good things about them. I do fish sage alot and love them. The Fli is a fast action taper wich do'es allow for casting bigger flies a little better and being a 6 makes the casting a bit better. The 4 wieght is a med.-fast and a much lighter line, so its best use would be with small flies shorter cast. I use a sage luanch in a 4 weight and find I can cast wooly buggers with a bead head up to a size 10 ok, if I do not rush my cast, but it still wears me out after a couple hours, thats why if I know I am going to be useing streamers and buggers and things like that I go to my 5 or 6 wieghts, if I am doing small nymps, dries, and such then I do a 3 or 4 weight. If I jsut don't know how I want to fish I usally take my five weight fast action rod, I find for myself that a fast 5 is a good allround choice with enough power to trhough up to a size 6 bugger and enough softenes to throw size 16 dries and light leaders. Sage has a new rod out called the flight, cast very nice, it helps you feel what your doing and not a bad price either, if you have a shop close that carries sage see if they will let you cast one in a 9' 5wt.
Hope that helps some
keep on after 'em
Bear
Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

The Fli would be fast action..but not extermely so, the TFO Pro a Medium/Fast.....I personally like fast action for big water fishing and medium to medium/fast for smaller streams....especially a 4 wt.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm learning slowly but surely. Unfortunately I sometimes learn the hard way. I have been trying to use my 4 wt to fish on small community ponds thinking the lighter action would make the fishing more exciting. However; it appears I have been using the wrong weapon. I think a lot of it has to do with my poor casting, but I think it has been the wrong rod choice as well.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I owned a Sage Fli 9' 6wt for 24 hours. I would describe the action as
"Stiff". It throw the line well enough, but I didn't get a whole lot of feedback
from the rod.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I'm learning slowly but surely. Unfortunately I sometimes learn the hard way. I have been trying to use my 4 wt to fish on small community ponds thinking the lighter action would make the fishing more exciting. However; it appears I have been using the wrong weapon. I think a lot of it has to do with my poor casting, but I think it has been the wrong rod choice as well.
Just keep in mind when useing light rods use a small fly, you would be surprised the largemouths that wieghd 1 to 6 lbs I have cuaght on a 3 or 4 wt rod and little 14-10 size flies. And dont feel bad, I think the hard way is the way most of us learn, at least I have and still do after 20 odd years of fly fishing LOL
may the fish wear your fly to threads
Bear
Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The TFO Pro and Sage's Fli are indeed both med-fast rods, but the Sage will be the faster of the two.

TFO's closest equivalent to the Fli is probably the TiCR. (NOT the TiCRX) I think that rod is one of their hidden gems that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM

arfishinbear's reply leads me to another question. Do I want to limit the size of fly I am using with the 4 wt to a size 10 or smaller? What about weight? Should I use only non-weighted flies? I think part of my problem might be that I have used too big of a fly and using flies that are too heavy for the rod to throw? Would both the TFO Pro and Sage FLi respond well to overlining?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Just from my expierence, I try to keep my flies to 10 and smaller when I use my 4 wight and a little weight on the fly is ok, not a bunch. Some that are maybe better casters then me may go bigger, don't know.
as for going up a line size on the sage I have at times and seen no problems but I have never done it much and have never fished teh other brand, someone else could probly answer that one better.
Bear
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Keeping your flies below size 10 with your 4wt would be best. You'll likely get to the point someday to where you can throw Clousers on the the thing, but that all takes time. I would say floating flies over a 10 will always be tough on a 4wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.