The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 AM

flymetothemoon is on a distinguished road
Default Who made my fly rod?

I inherited several Orvis rods recently - 1962 (Battenkill) and 1949 - all in exceptional condition. I also received a beautiful rod that looks exactly like an Orvis split bamboo rod even down to the look of the serial numbers, but the numbers are not Orvis. This is a 9 1/2 foot, 4-piece rod (2 tips). The serial numbers match on all 4 pieces - 04701636. Any ideas???
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Who made my fly rod?

Have you ran the numbers past Orvis? Unless you intend to sell the rod or are seeking an accurate appraisal for insurance purposes knowing who made it is not all that important. I have an 8' 6" 4 pc 2 tip that casts a #5 line. The rod is perfect and I value it greatly, problem is I can not prove who made the rod originally. I have a hunch but after fishing the rod through the 80's and 90's I forgot all about who made it and still have the rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you take some good photos of the reel seat, wrappings, and ferrules and post them on the forum known as the classic rod forum You'll have your answer in minutes

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-04-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rip Tide,

Please edit your post so that the active link to another forum is not present. The rules that effect our forum prohibit posting active links to other forum sites.

I fully understand your meaning by posting but if you just write the name of the site or PM the info to the person asking the question everything is cool. If there is a link then it has to go......................

Thanks,

Ard

Not to worry, I did it, sorry to intrude on a post but when I find a link to another forum I first ask and then I do. Perhaps I should have PM ed on this but I wanted readers to understand this rule. Hope you are OK with the change.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

dura lex sed lex Ard
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didn't realize that was a rule

This is how it reads in the General Rules, Regulations & Forum Etiquette

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...etiquette.html
Quote:
URL’s in Posts
You must be very careful when including URL’s or links in posts. A URL may only be included if it is part of a dialog of substantial content or a response to a previous post. Post that are an obvious spam attempt to direct members to another website will be immediately deleted without notification. An example of an illegal post would be… Come to my website at iamajerk.com.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Hi Rip,

You'll have to take my word on the link thing, I don't believe it would do too much good to go in and edit the rules but perhaps that will be on the to do list. The idea is simple, there is a substantial cost incurred on the owners of this site for its operation; when posts are entered that link members to another forum the result is counter productive.

Ard