The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Sage Flight Review

So, the guys at the local fly shop insist this rod is the best value rod out on the market. Same graphite/technology as the Z axis, a fast taper, a little heavier and not as nice components. They say it casts like the Z for half the price.

I have not cast one yet, and have not been able to find any user reviews on the internet. Has anyone on here cast one or come across any useful reviews?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Flight Review

A month ago two guys at our closest fly shop said the same thing. They considered the Sage FLi the best bang for the buck. That combined with a review by a guy comparing a new FLi that he got to his high end Winston (I looked for the review at length and couldn't find it but he was impressed with the FLi) and I bought one. Haven't cast it yet but I don't have enough experience to give you the input you deserve anyway. Thought that you might find it interesting that others are saying the same good things.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

The Fli was already a very good rod. If they improved it, then it should be a great rod for the money.

Frank
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

The Fli was already a very good rod. If they improved it, then it should be a great rod for the money.

Frank
Yes Frank,

They have made a substantial upgrade. The graphite is the exact same "Generation 5" technology that Sage uses on the Z-Axis. Plus they changed the name....that is sure to indicate better performance!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Folks.. if you are looking to buy Sage Fli fly rods... I recommend that you check out Urban Angler, Ltd (www.UrbanAngler.com) located at New York City.

They are selling off their Sage Fli rods at 50% (no warranty) and 30% (w/ warranty) discount.

I just got a Sage Fli #9wt - 4 pc for only $227 (w/ warranty)..
the one without is only $165... can't beat the price for a great rod.

Last Friday I checked they still have Sage Fli #5wt, #6wt, #8wt, #9wt, and #10wt (all 4 pc.)

Those Sage rods are basically new and they just selling it away coz 2009 models are coming out.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 PM

I have never bumped my own threads, but I really would like input from anyone that has test cast a new Flight rod or read a good review.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 PM

OK....for anyone that is interested, I cast both the new Flight and the Z-Axis side by side. I cast them both in 6 wt. with the same line and reel set up. Tim Woodward, an area guide and employee of Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls was out with me and he cast both as well as we talked about both of them. Here are our observations:

1. The Flight is actually a fraction of an ounce lighter than the Z. It is a light rod. Having said that, it seemed that the Z felt a little lighter in the hand. I personally think (I am no expert) that this has something to do with the taper and "feel" of the rod.

2. Maybe because of the different taper I could feel the Z load a little better for close in casts (15-25 feet). On medium to long casts it was hard to tell a difference.

3. The components are nicer on the Z although I was personally totally satisfied with the quality and build of the Flight. It had a nice knurled uplocking ring for the reel seat and the cork handle was better than I expected. The Flight comes with a Cordura Nylon rod AND REEL case as opposed to the very nice aluminum (I think they are aluminum) rod tubes the Z comes with.

4. I have never owned a Z although I have cast them on a few occasions. Tim has owned a few different Z's. Neither of us could tell much difference between the two rods. They are made of the exact same graphite and thus share very similar qualities. Although we could nitpick and find a couple things that felt different to us, we thought that the price difference outweighed any advantages the Z might have by far. If you would have told me that the Flight was a 650 dollar rod I would have totally believed you and also thought that these two rods were obviously in the same category. (does that make any sense?)

Bottom line for me is that I am a working man who likes to splurge on fly fishing equipment even though sometimes I shouldn't. If I feel like I need to buy a new rod in the near future I have no reason to spend more than I might spend on the Flight to feel like I am getting a premium rod.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 PM

OOhhhh....btw, we also cast one of the old Fli's, and there is no comparison. Totally different rod. (better IMHO)
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good revue Dorian. I have a few more questions for you.

What is the cost difference in the 2 rods?

Were they 2-3 piece rods?

And what was the type of line you used? W.F or D.T?

I've only been to Jimmys' a few times, where in the world do you go cast?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post

1. The Flight is actually a fraction of an ounce lighter than the Z. It is a light rod. Having said that, it seemed that the Z felt a little lighter in the hand. I personally think (I am no expert) that this has something to do with the taper and "feel" of the rod.
I had a St. Croix Avid and a Diamondback Aeroflex in the same length and
line weight. Both had the exact overall weight, and weighed the same when
taken in halves. The Aeroflex felt MUCH lighter in the hand, however, even
when just holding it in a static position! The Avid (IPC version) had much more
flex, and drooped noticeably in a static position, so I guess taper does matter
in the "swing weight" thing.