The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
small jaw hunter

Default Need help with a repair issue

I bought a closeout rod a few years ago and haven't used it much until the past few weeks and noticed that the reel can't be tightened down enough to keep it from moving, not much but enough to be annoying. I've tried 3 reels and it's the same with all of them. The locking nut tightens all the way to the wood insert but it's not enough. What can I do?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:16 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Need help with a repair issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by small jaw hunter View Post
I bought a closeout rod a few years ago and haven't used it much until the past few weeks and noticed that the reel can't be tightened down enough to keep it from moving, not much but enough to be annoying. I've tried 3 reels and it's the same with all of them. The locking nut tightens all the way to the wood insert but it's not enough. What can I do?
First, what kind of rod is it? Brand, model, and size? Are you trying to fit up reels that are appropriately sized?

Second, if there is no recourse to ask the manufacturer, then I would get some soft foam material and push a small amount into the top reel slot beneath the handle. I'd try to take up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I'd use a soft foam rather than something hard. Hopefully a little spacer like that will cause the reel seat to tighten up before the locking nut is advanced all the way.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's a few things you can do

A) Put some tape on the reel foot and be done with it
B) Find a reel that fits
C) Change out the reel seat

Installing a new reel seat is one of the easiest repairs you can make on a fly rod.
To remove the old seat it's a matter of breaking the glue seal. The easiest way is to put a plastic bag over the seat and stand the rod butt up in a pan of boiling water on the stove. After a bit and using a rag, you should be able to pull it right off.
Then it's just a matter of gluing on a new seat with slower drying epoxy.
You may have to adjust the "bushings" under the seat. Built up layers of masking tape work fine
Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Up or down locking? Either way I would place a small shim in the stationary hood of the seat. By the sound of it an eighth of an inch should do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM
small jaw hunter

It locks upward. I'm going to try to shim it with something adn see if that works. It's an Albright GP 6/7. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by small jaw hunter View Post
It locks upward. I'm going to try to shim it with something adn see if that works. It's an Albright GP 6/7. Thanks for all of the advice.
Albright. Imagine that.