The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Montgomery Wards Hawthorne Fly Rod

I've recently "found" the first fly rod that I had as a kid. I'm now in the process of trying to ID it.

It looks like it's a Montgmery Wards Hawthorne model; based on the information that's contained in the 1960 and 1961 Wards sporting catalogs. It also says "HAW.4" on the rod blank just above where it inserts into the grip. However all of the rods in the '60 and '61 catalogs are hollow glass rods and mine is clearly a solid glass rod.

So, I'm looking for a copy of Ward's Sporting catalog from the 1956-59 timeframe. If you have a copy or know of someone who does, I would appreciate a message or referral. I don't need to own the catalog, I just need access to it for a sufficient period of time to see if I can find my rod in it. Alternatively, is there is a catalog from that period available for sale, then I would be willing to purchase it.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Montgomery Wards Hawthorne Fly Rod

Click the image to open in full size.

On a serious note a couple pictures would help.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

MikeG,

Here are some pics of the rod. It's an inexpensive starter rod that I think was sold by Wards just prior to 1960. But, finding it after 50+ years makes it important to me from a sentimental standpoint.

I've lawn casted it and it will get a fly out there in the 50-60' distance range, but it provides a new definition for the term "slow action" and I'm sure that learning how to accurately place a fly with this rod will be a real challenge.

Let me know if you have any leads on the Wards catalogs that I'm trying to access.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...tFlyRod007.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...tFlyRod008.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...tFlyRod003.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...tFlyRod001.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...tFlyRod002.jpg

Thanks,

Pocono
Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

My great-grandfather use to work for Montgomery Ward back in the 40s, 50s. He kept every catalog since he worked there until they stop producing them in the latter half of the 20th century. I believe my grandmother has all of them in storage somewhere, it might take awhile but I bet I could find a couple catalogs that will have that rod.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 PM

That would be terrific! Most likely catalogs would have been '57-'59. Let me know if they turn up.

Thanks.