The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default 3 weight

I like a medium action rod, and was looking at fiberglass...A medium speed graphite would also work.

Im looking to spend 250 (could probably spend about 300 if neccesary) or less and i would appreciate any fly rod recomendations in this price range.

Im looking at a rod around 7 feet for small spring creeks, and i dont want to spend much money cause i dont know how much ill use it
Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 weight

Look at the Sage Luanch, I have one in a 4wt that I love for a softer action rod, I have seen it advertised as a med to med-fast action rod but it feels alot more to the med side to me. they aonly run around 200, I have heard alot of guys say how much they like the cortland brookie its around 180 I belive
Good luck
Bear
Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM

bwo is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind used, an older Winston IM6 rod would IMO fit the bill. But the best suggestion I can make would be an older (1980s) Thomas & Thomas SDF (Special Dry Fly). I believe this was an 8' 4 wgt that I'm sure you would love although I don't know how easy they are to find. This rod is akin to a magic wand. Majestic! Good luck in your quest!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I would say take a look at the St. Croix Avid, or a Scott G series.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:58 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Maybe a used Sage SLT. The rod is a classic.

Randy
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM

featherlite is on a distinguished road

why dont you have a look at a dan craft sig v blank. Perhaps a builder can build one up for you for under 300.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of starting to sound like a broken record, for that kind of fishing, which is what I do a lot of, I'd take a serious look at the Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. I love the rod. Plenty of backbone to get the fly out there to long targets, but a presentation that's like painting the fly on the water. Several posters have said that this rod has been discontinued since Cortland took over Diamondback (I hope not!), but I think that you can still pick them up at some of the larger suppliers. It's a really nice small stream rod and I think it will fit within your budget target.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
I would say take a look at the St. Croix Avid, or a Scott G series.
I was able to wiggle a St. Croix Avid 7' 9" (I think) this past week. Definitely
a medium action rod, and very nice build. All the fly rods in that shop were
30% off, and I nearly grapped that one.......
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Check out the post in General Discussion, premium 3#. You've described this rod to a "T".