The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default Need suggestions for my 3 wt

Hey, I decided my 4th rod is going to be a short 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 ft 3wt. Going to use it for backpacking mostly so I need something light. And going to be using mostly dry flys with occasional streamers so preferably medium action. My budget is up to $250 for the rod and around $100 for the reel(I'm not picky about reels, I just want something with a wide variety of drag settings). Thank for any help!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:32 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Superfine Trout Bum

These rods are real gems...and quite possibly just what you're looking for...

Up until late summer...they retailed for around $575.00

They have been on sale for a while for $450 +

However...the Orvis web site is still having an additional 20% off all Sale items...brings the 3 wt. down to around $360.
I know this is higher than your budget...but IMHO...these rods are well worth it...especially for the applications you described.

Orvis is redesigning something in the line and trying to move the ones they have.

You may be able to see if your local dealer has any in the shop and will work with you on the price...plus, you'd get a chance to cast one...best of luck...let us know how you end up.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

If you're not opposed to going in the "used" direction...you may be able to get one within your budget.

All the Best...
TB09
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Need suggestions for my 3 wt

thanks for the suggestions but thats a bit too pricey, and kinda too slow, I'm going to be using light streamers and sink tips. I am looking at the 7'9 3 wt st croix avid and the 7'6 3wt orvis clearwater II right now.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Not for nothing but a 3wt isn't the best choice for tips and streamer work. Get a short 5 or 4wt for that style. Not to say it can't but its a pain casting Buggers on my 3wt.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Not for nothing but a 3wt isn't the best choice for tips and streamer work. Get a short 5 or 4wt for that style. Not to say it can't but its a pain casting Buggers on my 3wt.
oh, i wont be casting anything as large as buggers, and i have a 5 wt, im 100% set on getting a 3 wt i just need to know a good medium action rod in my price range
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote a review on a 7'6" 3 weight Redington CT that I fished off and on during last summer and early fall. It retails for $149.

For a reel, you could get the matching Redington Drift 2/3 for it. It is a fully machined mid arbor click drag reel that retails for $100. Let's be reallistic. Do you need a disk drag for a 3 weight? All you need is a drag system that will prevent line overruns, and click drag reels are more than adequate for that. I never had to tighten the drag more than a quarter of the range for the Drift 2/3. If you need more drag, use your palm. Plus the sound of a fish taking line off of a click drag reel is awesome.

MP
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I have an Orvis 9 foot, 2 piece, Silver label rod and an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 reel I will sell you if you are interested. PM and let me know
Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I wrote a review on a 7'6" 3 weight Redington CT that I fished off and on during last summer and early fall. It retails for $149.
What he said. I think that it has the medium action your looking for.
Id suggest the Allen reels. My 9/10 Alpha is really awesome. All the Allen products are really great quality. I think that youd be really happy with them.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 PM

ok, so i was debating between the redington ct and the TFO pro series and went with the tfo because the action was a little more forgiving, but now i need a rod tube. Whats the lightest smallest tube i can get for a 7'6'' 3 wt?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever rod feels best to you is what you should get.

As for tube size, most tubes for 4 piece 7'6" rods are 26" long. For light weight, you may want to make your own out of a light PVC pipe.

MP