The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 AM

ndblacknight07 is on a distinguished road
Default looking for a fly rod

Im not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but i couldnt findanywhere else to. So here it goes...i am wanting a setup for cheap since i have only fly fished for a couple hours before. I am looking for something for under 100 and the cheapest possible without going to completely terrible rods/reels. I would like a combo that comes with line etc., bbut if not in a combo then it would be fine. I was looking at a couple different setups but i have no clue about quality etc.
Pflueger Fly Rod Starter Kit

White River Fly Shop Dogwood Canyon Fly Rod and Reel Outfits

and

Cabela's Three Forks/Pfleuger Medalist Fly Combo

i would like something to hold up since im going on a 3 day trip when the season opens here in nc with some friends and all that we will have to eat is what we catch.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for a fly rod

I had a 3-Forks rod and never cared for it, but I've heard other say that they love them
The Pfluger rods are the other way around. I've read reports that they're one of the worst, but my son has one and I think its fine.

A couple not on your list that I would recommend are the
Scientific Anglers 2 - Pc. 9' 5/6 - Lb. Weight Rod / Reel Combo

And nearly anything from Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM

jaybug is on a distinguished road

I bought a Cabela's Traditional 4 piece with a reel and line combo for a little over a hundred. My buddy already had the same from before we met. We both think they are great deals and use them much of the time even though we have more than 25 other rods including my 2 Sages. I would recommend not getting the Prestige Plus since mine drop about 18 inches on a rock and bent because of soft aluminum. The plain Prestige is what my buddy got and he loves that and it is only $15 on special now. He has dropped that numerous times with no harm.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM

thanks for the help...im going to be fishing in streams and small rivers so what length would i need? and i will be doing some smallmouth fishing as well.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Buying through a local fly shop is always a good idea if you can. On the one hand they might be more limited in the selections and price ranges of stuff they carry. But on the other, they are more likely to give you some help getting started, some freebie casting lessons perhaps etc.

But if you want to look around on-line, in addition to the recommendations you've gotten, LL Bean has a nice outfit for 99 bucks. 2 piece rod, composite plastic reel, fly line, backing, leader and hard plastic rod tube. They also have an excellent customer service and a very liberal return/replacement policy if you're not happy with it for any reason.

Quest II Two-Piece Fly Rod Outfits, 3-7 Wt.: L.L. Bean Fly Rod and Reel Outfits at L.L.Bean

For your first fly rod I would go with a 9 foot 5 weight for mostly trout and occasional smallies, or 9 foot 6 weight if you're going to do a lot of smallies and some trout. If you had been fly fishing a while and already had a bunch of fly rods, a lighter and shorter rod would be ideal for small brushy streams that you can step across, and with not a lot of casting room, for the typically smaller brookies that live in them. Something like a like a 7 1/2' for 3 weight line would b perfect for stuff like that if that's all you wanted to do with it.

But for your first fly rod, you'll get much more all around use out of a 9 foot 5 or 6 because of the range of fly sizes they can throw (the 6 will throw typical smallie flies a tad easier than the 5), and the extra length will come in handy for controlling line (mending) to get good drifts with your fly and while nymphing. They'll also be a lot easier to learn on than a rod designed for a lighter fly line. And you'll still have a ball in the mountains with it and throwing stuff at panfish and largemouth, as well as fishing all that great water down there for trout and SMB.

Good luck!

peregrines
Old 12-25-2008, 02:01 AM

my girlfriend jut bought me a cabelas three forks combo for christmas. its 8ft 5wt. what all do i need to buy now? i only have he rod and reel.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Like lots of people on a budget, I started off with an "all in one" kit. Several years ago I found a Shakespeare kit at Wally World and got it. If I recall, it was around twenty or thirty bucks... and still not worth it. Sure, it sucked, but it got me started.

There are literally loads of kits out there, and there's definitely a good point to seeing it before you buy it. Ordering over the internet might get you a good deal, but returns and exchanges are often impossible. Here's my two cents worth.

1. Know your target species before you buy. Don't buy a 5 wt rod if you're going for bass. But don't by a 9 wt rod if you're going for small streams and trout.

2. Know your target fishing environment. Don't get a 9 foot or longer rod if you're going to be fishing around lots of overhanging limbs or on small streams with short casting distances. Also consider that you can get away with a shorter rod if you're fishing from a boat.

3. Know your preferences. If you already have other rods, think about what you like or dislike in them. Do you prefer a fast rod, or a rod with lots of backbone in it?

4. Know your budget. You don't have to buy a $500 rod. You have to buy a rod you like and can afford. If you can't afford the one you like right now, you can save your money for a while. It's the "off season" anyway. Oh, and there will be some GREAT deals starting tomorrow (day after Christmas.)

As for recommended brands, I'm a cheapskate. I usually (but don't always) put the most money into my lines, not my rods and reels. I can only tell you that I have several rods and reels, mostly cheap Pflueger and Shakespeare reels, and Shakespeare rods from the UK. The US Shakespeare models just don't cut it in the quality department, even at their prices. And the most accurate thing I've ever heard anybody say about Pflueger's rods is that they are "weak and flacid." But also know that I only fish for bass and crappie, so I may be way out of touch with some product lines.

In short, go to a shop, ask for help, and do so with a target species, target environment, list of likes and dislikes, and budget in mind. Just know that winter is a great time to do it. You have until spring to find that perfect combo. You might even decide you don't want a combo, but piece together your "dream combo" one piece at a time.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:37 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndblacknight07 View Post
my girlfriend jut bought me a cabelas three forks combo for christmas. its 8ft 5wt. what all do i need to buy now? i only have he rod and reel.
Leader/tippet ( If it doesn't already come with one)
And basic flies.

You can use youtube for casting instruction if you like, there are a lot of good videos on there.

What species are you looking to fish for?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

ND-

Congrats, you’ll have a blast with it. Your girlfriend is a keeper. If it’s the rod and reel combo you’ll also want to add backing, a 5 weight, weight forward floating fly line, a tapered leader, a couple of spools of tippet, and some flies.

Backing, check to see if there is any documentation with your fly reel telling you how much to get, but if not 50 yards of 20lb test Dacron or Micron should be fine, and leave plenty of room to fit your fly line on top. Cabela’s Prestige backing would be good, although I think it just comes in 100 yd spools, which will probably be too much for your reel to hold all that plus fly line. You’d have to guesstimate, or measure it off on a local football field, or tie one end to your girlfriend and have her run all the line out and walk/skip/run back to you. The loop between going away line and coming back line will be approximately 50 yds and you can make a cut there to fill the reel.)

Fly line- a moderately priced 5 weight Weight Forward fly line, probably labeled “5 wt WF-F”) like Cabelas Prestige (30 bucks), Cabelas Prestige Plus (also 30 bucks but a slightly better line than the Prestige IMHO), Cortland 333+ (their weight forward “rocket taper” is 30 bucks), or Scientific Anglers Air Cel (25 bucks for the light green trout line 5/6 weight forward floater)

Here’s a link that will take you to other links for the backing and fly lines mentioned:
Cabela's -- View All

You’ll also need a tapered leader and a couple of spools of tippet.

Tapered leader- For your first, I would go with a 3 or 4-pack of 7 ˝ foot long knotless leaders tapered to 4X for 9-10 bucks. There are many good options, but I would pick the same brand for both leader and tippet. Cabelas Leaders and Tippets (not fluorocarbon), or for a bit more the Rio Powerflex would be good choices.

Tippet attaches to the end of your leader at one end and to the fly on the other. You’d want to add about 1 ˝ feet of tippet to your leader, so as you change flies you’ll be cutting tippet instead of chewing up your leader. The “size” of tippet is measured by diameter, and you’d use smaller finer tippet with small flies, and thicker tippet with larger flies. A few spools of tippet, one each in 4X, 5X and 6X would be great.

You can find links here for tippet and leaders:
Cabela's -- View All

If you’re shopping in person, take your reel with you, perhaps they can rig it all up for you. If you buy the stuff on line, you’ll want some help with knots etc,. Here’s a link if you do it yourself:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...knot-7924.html

Finally you’ll need some flies to hang 20 feet up in the trees as well as fool a few trout. A basic assortment like the 14 piece Classic Assortment (about 15 bucks) or the 35 piece Bantam Assortment (about 30 bucks) would be a good start
Cabela's -- Fly Assortments

Add a few extra individual Bead Head Woolly Buggers, black size 8. They’ll come in handy for smallmouth, and are a great fly for trout too in deeper water – pools in rivers and streams, and lakes/ponds.

Congrats on the fly rod and reel.

peregrines
Old 12-26-2008, 03:47 AM

jaybug is on a distinguished road

That combo includes line and backing so here is my wish list based on being complete and cheap:
1. Aquel Premium Floatant for any dry flies
2. Nip-N-Knot (you need the nail knot tool to tie the nail knot of fly line to leader butt)
3. Make your own leaders:
12 or 15 pound test mono line for leader butt, they all will work.
4 or 6 pound mono for the end of the leader (You can use more pieces of different pound test in the future, but 2 sizes should work fine. Learn the surgeon's knot to put them together and the nail knot to tie them to your fly line)
4. indicator (thingamabobbers are the best)
5. some split shot
6. some nymphs, dry flies, wooly buggers. size 16 is pretty good. Eventually you will have many sizes and types
.................................................. .........
Later, if you hit the lottery you will add hemostats, catch and release style net, waterproof digital camera, line cleaner and dressing, wading staff, waders, chest pack, fly boxes, more reels or extra spools with different lines like a sink tip. A float tube will add many more places to fish.