The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   American Made Rods & Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/6916-american-made-rods-reels.html)

txbevo 12-17-2008 07:54 PM

American Made Rods & Reels

Who are the american manufacturers of rods & reels? I am aware of Sage, Scott, Winston, Ross and Lamson. Are there others? What about a list of rod builders such as Mike McFarland?

BigCliff 12-18-2008 07:17 AM

Re: American Made Rods & Reels

I believe Loomis rods are still mostly made here, though the co is owned by Shimano. Thomas and Thomas rods and St. Croix rods are also made here. Abel and Tibor reels are made here, as are Nautilus/Old Florida, Galvan, and Hatch.

So yep, its pretty much the top dollar stuff out there. Most up-and-coming budget tackle mfgs are based here but contract with Asian factories to make the gear.

Rip Tide 12-18-2008 07:42 AM

There was an article in a recent Field & Stream about value priced fly rods. (I was at my dentist yesterday ;) )
The author (John Merwin ?) stated that because of the cost of shipping it was becoming less cost effective to have rods imported from Asia.
St Croix recently built a factory in Mexico for the production of their lower end rods for this reason.
You can ID them from the label that says "Made in North America"

imxer 12-18-2008 10:53 AM

All Loomis rods are made in Woodland, Wa.:thumbsupu

BigCliff 12-18-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 41688)
There was an article in a recent Field & Stream about value priced fly rods. (I was at my dentist yesterday ;) )
The author (John Merwin ?) stated that because of the cost of shipping it was becoming less cost effective to have rods imported from Asia.
St Croix recently built a factory in Mexico for the production of their lower end rods for this reason.
You can ID them from the label that says "Made in North America"

I think this trend will continue, but at a much slower pace now that fuel costs have dropped WAY back down. $4 gas was actually expected to somewhat help the SA TX economy due to its proximity to Mexican Mfg, but that forecast has since decreased a good bit.

I can tell you I'd MUCH rather have a Korean built rod than a Mexican one though. If St. Croix does some deal where they can build them 95% in Mexico and still figure out a way to label them "MADE in USA", they'll be getting none of my nickels.

FrankB2 12-18-2008 12:32 PM

If you can't find a reasonably priced USA rod, buy a nice used USA rod;) .

mojo 12-18-2008 07:43 PM

Mike McFarland has his own tapers, has the blanks rolled for him in the U.S.
He put's together whatever you like. One of the finest builders I've ever seen. Never met a McF rod I didn't like. I have 3 glass and one graphite McFarland. Other U.S. builders you might look into are R.B. Meiser, Steffan Brothers (graphite and glass), Kerry Burkheimer, Southfork Rod Co. (Jim Reddington is back- graphite and glass), Tom Morgan Rodsmiths (graphite, glass and cane- Burkheimer is rolling the glass blanks for Tom) just to name a few. Now how bout the cane rod builders.