The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Tailwater is on a distinguished road
Default Heddon Pal

Hi, Folks-

I have been going through some old gear and uncovered an old fiberglass rod marked "Heddon Pal 8353-Mark II". It's a 7' 6" six weight rod that I fished many years ago on Virginia ponds for large mouth bass and panfish. It originally belonged to my grandfather and is at least forty years old. It is really quite lovely.

Is this rod of any particular interest or is it just an old fiberglass fly rod?

Thanks.

Stan
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heddon Pal

Your rod is not exactly a collectors item, if that's what you mean.
It is a perfectly good fishin' pole though.

Here's some info
fiberglass fly rods / Heddon
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tailwater,

Back in 1953 I was working at a shop and my friend wanted a fly rod. I sold him a Heddon Pal 8' or 8' 6" I don't remember. I sold him that rod because it had a tip action that was much faster than most of the fiberglass rods being sold at the time. It was one fiberglass rod I enjoyed casting.

Frank
Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being branded a "turncoat", I suggest that you put your question to some of the experts and rod collectors at the fiberglass fly rodders board.

fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku

Many of the members of that board are experts on fiberglass rod value.

Overall, Heddon Pals seem to be a fairly popluar rod with this group; not in the same league with Phillipsons, but certainly a good rod to fish. They also have a "Rods for Sale" thread where you're apt to be able to find a Heddon Pal; which will have a price associated with it. You can also get some good information by watching the ebay auctions. Type in "Heddon Pal rod", hit the search key and you'll likely find some of those rods for sale.

If it's a family heirloom of sorts, I'd probably keep it, fish it and enjoy it.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Tailwater is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for these replies. I would not part with this rod. It falls short of being a family heirloom, but my grandfather taught me to fly cast with it around 1966 and it has great sentimental value.

As to the sporting goods family heirloom, ask me about my 16 gauge side by side Fox Sterlingsworth that I inherited from my sportsman grand dad.