The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spey Rod - to buy or not to buy

It wouldn't be worth much for Kings or in the Patagonian wind, but Echo is selling a 12'2" 5wt in their Dec Hogan line that will throw a line up to 450 grains. I would think that would work well for both your local warmwater needs, and also allow you to reach fish in AR and MO that no one else can.

Its action would likely be much slower than a "switch" rod when used with shooting heads, but its power would be better suited to the fish you are normally catching.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM

anemec is on a distinguished road

Fly2Fish, I do like the Z-Axis rods. That's what I have in a 5 wt. and it casts like a dream. I find it interesting that the Switch Z-Axis doesn't tire you as much as the XP when casting one handed. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't use a spey rod but will offer this, I would rather be able to handle the larger fish without having to give too much ground and conversely land smaller fish with little of no worries. With that said, I would go with the heavy stick for Kings and use it for other applications as well. I often use my 9wt. to catch trout when I drift into good trout water. It is easy to change the leader and fly as opposed to having a second rig on my boat to worry about.

I guess as time has passed I've became a minimalist.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM

anemec is on a distinguished road

I see you're in Wasilla. Do you ever catch Kings on your 9wt.? And actually, if you had your choice to fish for 10 days in your neck of the woods which salmon run would you target, Silvers or Kings?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Probably Silvers based on the longevity of the run. Yes I use the 9 for Kings but have only reached 48lbs. I judge by that experience and many others in the 40's the rod will stand up to a larger fish. I have hooked some that were very large but the hook came free prior to my being able to land the fish. Perhaps I was hurrying them.

Through the years I have became proficient at landing salmon and will say that if properly handled the fish can be brought to bear using even my 7wt. I do sometimes use it but not on runs where the fish are known to reach 60lb. proportions.

I will PM you regarding fishing my haunts.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I would agree with Joni in that a switch rod would be a great option. The Beulah switch rod is another good choice. I built a switch on a Batson switch rod blank. Also one of the Dan Craft FT's would make for a good switch rod. The batson switch I built works very well on heavy current rivers like the Colorado or throws line a great distance when still water fishing. I loaned it to a friend once and he said using it was almost cheating.
With the switch I will spay cast, half spay, roll, and conventional cast. It can be used with one or two hands. Not my every day rod, but a great tool in the tool box.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Cliff, a couple years ago a friend of ours talked his brother-in-law into giving some spey casting lessons to a few of us. It was at a park with a pond. We got to try all the new protype Echo Dec Hogan rods.
The guy teaching could cast and hit the ducks 100' out. Now I've never casted a spey rod before and it took a while to get the hang of it (Joni caught on pretty quickly) But I was suprised at how light they were and with two hands what you could do with it, and how accurate they are.
There was even a 4/5w two hander. With the right line even the 4w would cast a mile. I'm not so sure what you would use a 4w 11'er for. I think the minimum for a rod in a spey style would be 7w, and a switch rod minimum would be a 5/6w. I like the DH series and it's probably what I would or Joni would get (or build one) if we did get a 2 handed outfit. The Dec Hogan Spey/Two Handed rods are really a good price if you don't mind them being built in Asia.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Sounds like a good Idea. I started using a spey rod on a lake, but casting on a lake, I learned, is a lot harder than on a river. There's no moving water to keep tension on the line. Also, you'll probably want a line that you can retrieve, so I would consider a skagit or a scandi line. (Skagit is a shorter head and is better for bigger flies and casting in a strong wind, but it's a nosier line.)

To cast the lines you'll have to use slightly different techniques. You can get good help here:

Spey Pages - Powered by vBulletin

BTW, I love the Echo Classic, and it was less than $300.00.

Randy
The Fly And Spin Casting Site