The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM

iamjaguarpaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's the Best Fly Rod under $60 New? - your input wanted

first post ,been lurking for a while ,registered to post here.

i have the martin 5/6 combo , i think i paid 30$ from finks bait and tackle , took a long time to get here , but it was waaaay better than my improvised setup. was using a spinning rod tip with a homemade floss line .

needless to say the martin more than fulfilled my needs.

now to rate it,

quality seems fine , some extra glue on the stripping guide , but nothing that hampers function.

the reel is definitely low end , but it reels fine. drag works fine , not adjustable , but im not going for red's or anything like that.the line does wrap around the spool if you let it baloon, and up till now , i just yanked it out. i figured out last night that the spool can be removed . that would have been nice to know.

the line is ok, i cant say for sure , because im still new to this, and it does pretty much what i ask it to.i can roll cast it better now that ive had more experience .

i actually found this thread while looking for reviews on the eagle claw featherweight 6'6', as one review said "more like a 3wt", i figure i could slap a 3 or 4wt on it and have a nice brill rig.

i really want a 2 or 3 wt , but i have a 1month old son, and im currently the only income , so even 60$ for a nicer rod , 40 for a decent reel, and another 30-50 for line is out of my budget right now.

i love my tree trunk, and if anyone knows of a 3wt combo for <40$ , let me know.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Iamjag-

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Since this is an old thread, you may want to start a new one to get more responses. Hopefully folks will weigh in with some specific models.

I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but if I was in the market for one, I'd check out Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands as well as the bargain cave at Cabelas to look for some discontinued models offered up for significant discount from their original price.

But, you might also want to consider looking for a used rod too. In this lousy economy there are a lot of great deals out there, typically going for about 50% of the original retail. Examples of good deals might be a used TFO Pro (four piece rod, original retail about 150 for about 70-75, used Echo or Redingtons for around 60ish). You could search around on the classified section of fly fishing forums here and elsewhere (some even have "looking to buy" sections you could post), Craig's list, and perhaps even check in with local fly shops to see if they have any used equipment from the shop or customers that they might have. It's a great way to get a rod with a lot of bang for the buck. If you see any potential deals out there, you could always post here to get opinions before you buy-- depending on the seller, some stuff might be a rip off, some stuff might be great.

Good luck in your search, hope to see more of your posts on the forum.

mark
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybug View Post
I got a St Croix something for $35 last year from Cabela's. Sales and used prices are hard to compare to retail so I haven't brought up all my bargains. I think the most useful advice would be regarding the typical retail price so we can compare. Having said that, how do you like fishing with the St. Croix? Good or bad?
Rather a long time gap on this reply, but I love St. Croix. I'm not "married" to them, but of the five (5) rods I have, three (3) are St. Croix. The Avid is my personal favorite.

I didn't see it mentioned, but Quarrow makes a damn nice rod for around $60. I have a 9ft 5wt in 3 piece and I can cast it better than my old St. Croix Imperial (not the new model). Hardyreels uses them in AK and he swears by them.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just one word;

Quarrow.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Or perhaps a Berkley ( 2 piece four weight) Cherrywood for 35 bucks (new with free Multitool)?

Berkley-fishing Berkley® Cherrywood® Fly Rods